Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there I am at work today and this guy walks up to the parts counter and says he needs an R45tsx, or the cheapest equivelant that we have. Knowing (from this being the stock plug for my 83 T-Type) that we don't stock that brand I cross it over into autolite for him and ask him, "oh, buick v-6?" His response is kinda just a scoff and says "yeah, but that's not what it's in." I said "I thought so, that is the same plug # for my car." "Oh, good, then give me a cap and rotor for your car as well then, but I just need the cheap one." So, as I am going to grab these items from the shelf he says, "yeah, it's twin turbo'd." So I asked, "what's it in?". "It's in a Chevy Luv." So I tell him that he might want to drop the heat range and close up the gap from the stock .060. He pops off with "Well, I am going by suggestions of Kenny Bell. (how he pronounced it, I know how to spell it. :D ) I said, "really??". "Yeah, I talked to Ken personally and that is what he said." I said, "Wow, I have never got to talk to him." So I then asked a few burning questions as my fight with myself to not make this guy feel as stupid as he sounded raged on. "Is it fuel injected?" "It's running a distributor?" "what are you running for knock detection?" "What are you using to control timing?" And then he tells me he is running a "corvette rear-end" in it and that he wasn't sure what he was using for knock or timing cause Kenny built this motor for him as a whole package."

And some of you wonder what kinda idiots are on the other side of the counter??

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
yeah i get that all the time when i'm working at AZ. best one was.. "ineed plugs for a 87 gn kinda like the one outside but real nice" :rolleyes: everyone please take note.. when you go in to a autoparts store dont bash any cars in the parking lot.. in return he got nothing but the finest bosch platnum 4's.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Everyone should also take note that you need to figure out what you need for your car before you go to a place like AZ so that the parts guy cannot screw you over :sw:

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
That's why i usually look up what i need on their website before i go there or any of the local hardware,department stores.

That way i have the part numbers, prices, warranty, availability, etc. with me.

It usually works out well and i get what i want and not something they choose for me and less chance of any mistakes. :yup:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
still gotta watch if all the parts are right..

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
That is true and also have to check to make sure the part that's in the box hasn't been used or damaged by a previous customer.

I have bought things in the past that when i looked closely they had been used. More then likely by someone returning the item after using it to troubleshoot their car. :dunno:

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Last year I went in AZ to order endlinks to fix my Mom's car ( a 94 Chevy) and told him the year, model, make, and the part I needed so he looked it up on the store's computer which took him a while and got me a set of endlinks. Went to put them into the Chevy and they were not long enough by 1/3 in. He got me the wrong set went back to the store and a different guy looked it up and said oh man that other guy was way off! The only ones they had that would fit in stock were the hyper-flex brand which cost more but they did fit right. And the week before I had just order the same brand end links for my Buick which were longer and cost less since I had ordered them from Jeg's. AZ is good for odds and ends stuff but not for some of the big repair jobs. :sw:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
How can you have a engine built and NOT KNOW what it needs :dunno: :rant:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
whats weird is that alot of a the duralast parts are wrong. valucraft is right though. :dunno:

·
Wheels Up!
712 Posts
The real question is why when I walk into any autoparts store and say "I would like a tranny filter for a 700r4" do I always get the response "what kind of car is it" It doesn't matter what type of car it is.. any car with a 700.. pick one. Hell the car isn't nearly as important as what kind of tranny it is. :D :D

They do the same thing when I ask for a specific spark plug. :rolleyes:

Sully

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
V6 Beast said:
The real question is why when I walk into any autoparts store and say "I would like a tranny filter for a 700r4" do I always get the response "what kind of car is it" It doesn't matter what type of car it is.. any car with a 700.. pick one. Hell the car isn't nearly as important as what kind of tranny it is. :D :D

They do the same thing when I ask for a specific spark plug. :rolleyes:

Sully
Some stuff does change year to year or car vs. truck. My favorite game to play with the "their all the same" customers is small block chevy starters. First I will go back and grab one for an about '66 327 p/u with manual transmissions. This has 3 horizontal mounting bolts through a cast iron nose. Then when they say, no that is wrong, I say ok, let me try again. Then I go back and grab one for an 80 malibu. This one looks almost right, except now the 2 vertical bolts instead of being staggered are straight across. :D Now they are kinda irritated. Then I go back and grab one for a 97 Caprice. This one is a permanent magnet gear reduction model. Now that they are about pissed, I explain to them that all of these are small block chevy starters, and perhaps they might want to tell me the car it's from, the car it's in or bring me the old one to match up.

P.S. small block fuel pumps are another one. :wink:

BTW, The 4L60E is commonly mistaken for a 700r4 and does take a different tranny filter kit.

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ttype83 said:
How can you have a engine built and NOT KNOW what it needs :dunno: :rant:
The real question is, how can you have an engine built and throw in Autolite 666 plugs, and the cheap aluminum cap and rotor (because the brass contact ones are $2 more).

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
back to the parts store stuff.

When I lived in the Miami area you would go to some of the big parts stores and they could not even speak english so forget the part all together....I am serious.

Discount, advanced, Auto Zone. U had to find one that a couple of employees that could speak english and stick with that store.

Certain areas forget it, they have signs that says English spoken hear...WTF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts