Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking to an engine builder that claims running main studs puts stress on the block that leads to the caps shifting around and eventual bearing, crank, and block damage.

Is there any merit to this claim??? He said that the nuts end up pulling the studs up... He recommended just using ARP bolts instead as they clamp down more... What do you guys think??? When I put my studs in I just turned them in with very little torque as per the directions and then torqued the nuts down...

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I don't believe that.The whole point to using studs is to distribute the clamping load over two threads instead of one.
That's why most endurance engine builders use them instead of bolts.
With that said,ARP bolts work very well too.

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Get a different engine guy! Not only what was mentioned but you can get more accurate torque due to the fine thread on the studs vs. the course of bolts. You generally have more meat of the thread into the block as well.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CallMeMud:
Get a different engine guy!
LOL, I build my own engine's, and as mentioned I use studs... This was just some engine dude I ran into today and we ended up talking Buick V6's. When we got on to the topic of wrecking bottom ends he blamed the studs for creating cap walk. I told him I didn't agree but you know how these guys are all talk and always right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
He may be refering to a lack of "elasticity" in the fastener and an attendant "giving" of the surrounding metal at the threaded areas,however if the bolt "gives",what just happened to the fastener and the bearing bores?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts