Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple questions for yaw.
1. if i get a stretched stock cooler ,do i send myine off to get it altered and when it's stretched will the stock intercooler shroud still fit on the stretched version?
2.dollar for dollar is it worth it to go front mount setup or not?
3.who do i contact for a strech version?
thanks jay :)

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: white shadow ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
In theory, a front mount should be better. In practice, for most street cars, a stretched stock mount is better for all around use.

Some places use old cores and ask for your current core in exchange when you buy one. Others use new, higher tech cores which don't suffer from aging related problems.

Here is a place with good service and good quality for a good price.

http://www.thunderfabrications.com/thunderfabrications%20main.htm

Several have reported happiness with this one.

Also, you are close to Jack Cotton. He was selling an unit with used cores, but, he may have a new core unit now. You might check with him for pricing. I would not buy one with used cores unless it is extremely cheap.

·
Registered
633 Posts
1. don't need to send it anywhere, stock one will go 10's

2. dollar for dollar, stock one will go 10's...maybe get the big neck kit.

3. call ghost-busters, the stock one will go 10's.

seriously, u don't need to spend your money here, save it for a te-44 or something more in-line to where your cars performance is now. the bigger IC's are nice to look at and have a great WOW factor when showing friends but dollar for dollar it's not worth the gain...if any.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Usually you'll use yours as a core. This topic has been discussed numerous times, do a search to find more information. Usually a front mount is more effective on sub 11 second cars. While it might make you go a little faster on a 12 second car, the significantly higher cost can be better budgeted elsewhere. Some people have had to get fans and heavier radiators with front mounts.

Lots of vendors have stretched stock location ICs. They also turn up used somewhat frequently on Parts for Sale (here and TB.com) and on Ebay. He's perpetually backlogged with work, but if you can deal with a wait, Mease has just produced a completely new stock location unit that's pretty impressive. I plan on going with it in the future. If you don't want to wait, check Cotton's or other sites.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys for all your opinions/advice i new that there would be various opinions .my thoughts are probably to get a stretched cooler if they don't cost more than say 250 -300.00.
what will be MEASE' price?i think i'll get a strecthed ,not to run in the 10's or 11's but just because these engine compartments are so hot to start with.thanks for all the info everyone. :)

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Stock position I/C's are for wussies.
It takes a real man to hang it out front. canada uzi uzi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts