Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never saw one so what is done to make it a streched IC? Will this make it longer or taller? Will this work good with a PTE51?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
they cut another core in half and extend the end tanks the length of the original core plus the half...

Works quite well tho some interfere with the front sway bar. The downside, beyond that point, is that you are working with 12-15 year old cores that are getting leaky and losing efficiency due to the bonding of the fins going bad. Guys have been into the tens with them....Red Armstrong is known to use them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Keith Mease of Mease Performance builds these. They are an excellent, lower cost alternative to the CAS V4's. All of the cores are pressure tested to 30+ psi before being used. The leaking core is very rare unless it has been bashed OR the core oxidized.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i just installed a big neck stocker that i got from Keith. Excellent quality. Repainted too. I suggest you call him or drop him an email.

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler w/Duttweiler big neck,stock D5 converter, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2, boost command

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
IMO, there isn't any tube to fin bond deterioration with the factory ICs. I don't know what manufacturing process was used but I doubt it could be improved on today.

This picture is of the lower half of one of the ICs I bought to build my stretch with.
I bet the original owner wondered why his new GN wouldn't mph like the rest of them!

(note that the damage is on the outlet side of the IC and that the tubes show no marks of FOD. Must have been a Rustang guy that built this one)

------------------
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
GN Page
TTA #10
DIY Alcohol Injection

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fast86, I bought a stretched one several wears ago. It was 11/2 stock IC with the Duttweiller neck. You can still find them for sale? I modified mine so to fit around the front sway bar. The right side brace was cut back and re-drilled the left brace to make this possible. I fiber glassed the scoop to fit the whole IC with a baffle to feed air to the whole thing. It picked up car and the Turbo spooled much faster. Roasted the rear tires even more! I do still have pictures of this installation. I sold this to Jason Cramer to put on his mechanics car. Gene

[This message has been edited by ILBCNU6 (edited January 03, 2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts