Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure how to do a search for this so I'm going to ask it outright...

Tonight when I came home from work, I was opening my garage to put the car away and noticed my headlights dimmed a bit as if the fan came on or something else had turned on. Then about every minute or two it did the same thing.. I popped the hood and noticed the fan was already running. It's kinda like something is cycling every now and then.. I listened by the powermonster and didn't hear it run so that's probably not it. What could be causing this intermittent problem?

Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks..

------------------
'87 Buick Grand National
'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

Click here for My Homepage

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Hi Ken,

Just a thought, but was your heater set to defrost by chance? When the heater is set to defrost it runs the AC compressor and maybe each time the compressor engages the rpm's drop a bit so that your headlights dim. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Paul Beal
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no accessories were on.. I was checking if the fan was turning off but it wasn't and the high speed fan wasn't running either. It's sort of like something is cycling on and off every minute or so.

------------------
'87 Buick Grand National
'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sometimes the high speed fan will kick on for a short period of time and by the time you pop the hood, it kicks back down to the slower speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the high speed fan is coming on, seeing it's around 40 degrees at night here in NY and my temp isn't going over 165 degrees.

Can the powermaster start cycling like this if there was a problem with it?

Thanks..

------------------
'87 Buick Grand National
'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's an update... went out to inspect it today and found out that my fuel pump seems to be turning off for about a second then turning back on. Is this normal? Could the relay be going bad? Also, it only seems to happen when the headlights are on..

Any suggestions...?

------------------
'87 Buick Grand National
'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

·
Omnipotent Poster
728 Posts
That happened to me once and it turned out it was the garage door comming down and hitting me in the head, then going back up. I took the remote away from my wife and the problem cured itself.

HTH

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Originally posted by Ken87GN:
Ok, here's an update... went out to inspect it today and found out that my fuel pump seems to be turning off for about a second then turning back on. Is this normal? Could the relay be going bad? Also, it only seems to happen when the headlights are on..

Any suggestions...?

Unlikely it would be the fuel pump cycling. The car would die when the pump shut down. As soon as you loose fuel pressure (pump shutting down), the the could would stumble and die within seconds.

------------------
TurboDave mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing
Lone Rock, WI
86 GN[email protected](MAF Xlator+/Extender,BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 Z28 L69
01 Excursion LTD TTS"race" chip 7.3L PSD(power stroke diesel) Turbo 4X2
My photo albums

·
Registered
242 Posts
Originally posted by Ken87GN:

Can the powermaster start cycling like this if there was a problem with it?

Turn your ingnition key on but don't start the engine. See if your pm motor cycles for a split second every minute or so.

Mine was doing this (yes it dimmed the gauge lights etc slightly) and I replaced the accumulator and all was well....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by FastwClass:
That happened to me once and it turned out it was the garage door comming down and hitting me in the head, then going back up. I took the remote away from my wife and the problem cured itself.

HTH
Lol's!..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by FastwClass:

HTH
Sorry, I'm not that much of a moron..

I know if the pump shuts off then the car would die, but the pump would be running then get quiet (as if it shut off) then starts running again. ?? I've got a Reds XP Plus pump and can hear it running.

------------------
'87 Buick Grand National
'92 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
When my pump went bad, it started blowing the hot wire fuse by the alternator. Take the 20 amp fuse out, and replace it with a 10 amp. If that blows I would have to suspect the pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts