Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an `87 Turbo T. Excellent condition with only 46,000 original miles.

The pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body looks like it`s a cooled unit with hoses running in and out of the pipe from the windshield reservoir through what looks to be a solenoid or a relay. (maybe a pump)

Can anyone tell me who makes this unit and how it works. I haven`t found an activating switch or mechanism yet.

Do they work or should I take it off ?

Any comments on this would be appreciated, pro`s or con`s.

Thanks for the help

George, in ALBERTA

`87 GN 11.54 @ 115.39 3500 ft.

·
Registered
44 Posts
George that is called a chill pipe. I know because i bought one about 12 years ago thiking it was a good idea. Those early years not much was known what, other than chips and air in & out, would make these cars run. I also remember it was about $180 bucks. On top of that my friend and i had them chromed , so it wasnt cheep. The idea was to circulate ice water through the water jacket on the pipe when you were racing to drop the temp of the air the engine was ingesting. Sounded good back then but if any real thought had been put to it we would have relized the air was flowing way too fast to get much if any benefit from it. Now it certainly isnt hurting anything but if you want to leave it on and use it i would use a mixture of antifreeze & water to keep the water jacket from rusting through. Oh some of the things we do...lol...Carter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts