Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now what?
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are IAT sensors known to go bad? Mine’s been acting weird lately. It’s been hot here in NJ this past week. On the way to work in the morning, the ambient temperature has been in the high 70s. Watching the IAT on the scanmaster while I’m cruising will show the proper temperature. Then out of nowhere it flips out and starts climbing toward 130 or so before it slowly drops again back to the high 70s. This all the while I’m cruising at steady throttle and steady speed. The other day in slow traffic, it was climbing up to 130 again, not too unusual for the heat and the lack of airflow at traffic crawl speed, but when I started to move good again, it didn’t come down. In fact it got so high at one point that it started to flash “hot”. What’s up? I read that operation of the IAT isn’t critical for the car’s performance, but if I have it, I want it to work right.

BTW, my IAT is in the neck of my open air filter under the hood.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
It could be caused by your cooling fan, when it turns on, its starts moving air across the filter element, and thus your IAT sensor. Mark

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
stickybones said:
In fact it got so high at one point that it started to flash “hot”. What’s up? I read that operation of the IAT isn’t critical for the car’s performance, but if I have it, I want it to work right.

BTW, my IAT is in the neck of my open air filter under the hood.
Flashing hot it just to get your attention, that things are really warm under the hood.

IMO, the best answer is using a Translator, and chip meant to go with it. The later MAFs have their own temp. compensation built into them. That way you eliminate the IAT being used in any way.

·
Now what?
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to pay closer attention, but I don't think the rapid and mysterious temperature reading rise correlates to when the fan turns on.

I'm running an LT1 MAF and Translator +. Just figured I'd keep the IAT since it's there anyway. My wife always likes to know what the temp is outside. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
stickybones said:
I'm running an LT1 MAF and Translator +. Just figured I'd keep the IAT since it's there anyway. My wife always likes to know what the temp is outside.
If you have an Fullthrottle chip then IAT isn't being used for anything.

Unless I missed something the IAT is seeing underhood temps., not ambient.

·
Now what?
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have the Extender chip from Full Throttle. Yes I understand the IAT isn't being used for anything. Yes it's mounted in the filter neck under the hood. However, when moving, and you have good airflow, the IAT should be reading close to ambient temp. Mine always has up until a few weeks ago when it started to flake out and climb 50 degrees in temp over the course of ~1 minute while I'm cruising along at a constant throttle and constant ambient air temp. That's not normal.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The MAT/IAT sensor is pure resistance- higher resistance reads as lower temp. An intermittent short would cause it read high, while a bad connection would cause it to read low. So maybe it's just a wiring issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.