Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most HP you guys have made with a mild port and polish and removal of the EGR? (no raised port) I'm thinking of trying the new Champion or TA design. Thanks.

-scott wile

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good question. While rebuilding my engine I figured I would be beyond stock so I went the distance. But I am still curious on this. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
At Jason Cramer's web site (RJC Racing) there are some "recipes" posted, for diferent performance levels. Tom Cramer (Jason's father?) has gone into the tens with stock heads, and "stock untouched intake". Probably could have done it more easily with modified heads and intake, but at least it gives us an idea of what CAN be done!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dennis with the GN powered Mustang GT has gone 9.10 and 153mph with a stock ported intake. This was on a stage motor.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Ormand said:
Stage motors use a different intake, I think- not quite a fair comparison.
Nope.
They can use stock intakes and have[with stock configuration heads-Champion,etc.,both on and off center].

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ormand said:
Stage motors use a different intake, I think- not quite a fair comparison.
Nope, he has the same intake on a completely stock 85 longblock temporarily while the stage motor is getting new heads. Going 11.20's with it. Stock cam, stock heads, etc with a TE-60.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
So, a "Stage motor" would be just the block- or maybe a block with Stage I heads, or aftermarket heads. So, if you want to make a lot of power with the stock intake, you can bore and stroke a Stage block, get it out to 272 cubic inches! But that would again seem to be an apples and oranges comparision. Tom Cramer got into the tens with a stock block, stock heads, and stock intake. That seems more meaningful to me, as far is an indicator of what can be done with the stock intake.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ormand said:
So, a "Stage motor" would be just the block- or maybe a block with Stage I heads, or aftermarket heads. So, if you want to make a lot of power with the stock intake, you can bore and stroke a Stage block, get it out to 272 cubic inches! But that would again seem to be an apples and oranges comparision. Tom Cramer got into the tens with a stock block, stock heads, and stock intake. That seems more meaningful to me, as far is an indicator of what can be done with the stock intake.
It was a 252ci with M&A heads. 10's with a stock intake is great, but if you look at the original question...

"What's the most HP you guys have made with a mild port and polish and removal of the EGR? (no raised port) I'm thinking of trying the new Champion or TA design. Thanks.
-scott wile"

... I was just showing what can be done with a stock intake with some porting before you switch to an aftermarket piece.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The info on the Stage motor is good to have- regardless of the heads, cubic inches, etc, it had to be making a LOT of power, and that should help answer the original question. The stock intake can be used to make a LOT of power! And, as usual, there is more than one way to get that power.
By the way, Glen, your turbo T looks just like mine- well, mine is in need of some TLC, and has stock wheels- but it does look like yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts