Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard i can remove the stock heat shield off my stock turbo w/out any problems but those bolts in the front seem really tight b/c i really torqued them and they didnt budge. what are the pros and cons or doing this. it wont burn a hole in my hood will it? finally how many bolts do i remove the 2 in the front and which one(s) in the back the top or bottom one

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
4 bolts to the heat shield. I try them hot after the car has been run a bit. Try tapping them a bit with a hammer and spraying the back and front with penetrating oil.

They come off eventually. Haven't burned a hole in my hood yet. The hood liner is starting to discolor above the turbo though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Let your car run for like two minutes till the turbo gets a little heated up. Just unbolt the ones in the front and the top one in the back and you'll be set. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 1987 Grand National with a little over 109,000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
then there are four bolts...two on the front, two on the rear of the shield.

Must have been a really long time since that one came off as they should not be tight at all. Just snug.

After driving the car and getting into the boost a few times to warm the bracket up nice and hot, rap the head of each a couple of times and put a long handled wrench on them......13 mm.....be sure you turn them counterclockwise

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Very rare bolts too. I stripped one taking mine off for the first time at 89K a few years back.

Use neverseize when re-assembling them it works well.

2 foot torque bar works too.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts