Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Buick , I want to know how high a stock wastgate will boost before modification. The car I just bought needs shortblock work (knock,spun bearing).
If its real bad , I may get a 83-84 4.1 block and leave it mostly stock, I only want to tweak it to mid 12's. Also what is the boost limit for 93 oct. and a stock chip?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Well, if it is a stock wastegate and not adjustable, the spring pressure is, or was, about 12#. However the chip can command more boost if the programming requests it.

If it is an adjustable wastegate, it can probably exceed 20# if the rod is shortened enuf.

Maximum safe boost on 93 octane will be around 15-17# depending upon what chip is used. With a stock, unmodified, factory chip-probably 14-15#

If you have not, go to www.gnttype.org and read the spring cleaning, and 12 sec recipe articles under technical resources.

------------------
------------------
Steve Wood

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

86 GN bought new, 87 T-type-81 El Camino with GN drive train-basically stock 86, 94 Caprice 9C1, 69 SS396 Camaro Convertible

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Originally posted by gearman86TTYPE:
I only want to tweak it to mid 12's.
Thanks
And then!

13lb's stock"Start turning it boost & FP up till you get knock that you cant get rid of"thats how much boost you can run"avr 16-18lbs"with stock chip.

------------------
Keith Davis---"UNDERCONSTRUCTION"again**!86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads,intake & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your needing engine don't take it to any engine builder. Our engine require special attention. E-mail for a name and number for engine work in DFW. [email protected]

BTW, what does your car look like, I've might of seen it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.