Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a post I put up on turbobuick.com for a NEW GN product:

Hard starting is a way of life for our GN's. But I'm working on a solution...
It's right around the corner, prototype stage and looks tremendously promising.
The device will be called QuickStart module. It attaches between the cam sensor and the cam sensor connector, takes 31 seconds to install. Here is how it operates:
http://www.installationinstructions...pers/102076.pdf

It is in the early stage of prototype but I figured because the question came up, I'd let the cat out of the bag. The way it works is to attempt to injecto a false signal into the cam circuit to speed up the spark and fuel initiate routine in the CCCI module. AND, it serves two purposes; one, to get the engine started quicker PLUS it will allow you to start your car WITHOUT a cam sensor, or with a defective sensor. It has an LED that blinks to show you that the ignition system is powered up (no LED, blown fuse). Anyway, it is a few weeks away from full-blown production and I am looking for about five or six of you guys that drive your GN every day, to test the item and report back your comments - beta testers. First six emails to me with addresses will get the first modules off the assembly line.
Every year at the Nat's I get you folks asking "what new products do you have, John?" Well, here's a start. Hopefully it'll make your GN start just like the 3800 GM engines.
Hope to hear from some of you guys that drive your cars every day.
-John Spina http://www.casperselectronics.com

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Interesting idea.I drive mine every day and sometimes it's a little hard to start.Hmm?

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Sent an email last night. My car starts fine I would say overall, and is driven everyday including winters.

After sitting, which is rare, it might take a bit longer as I crank while priming.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Mine has started for me in all seasons on the first click since I owned the car. So has all my other cars. If your car is well tuned and all sensors are in working order nothing else is needed. If it don't start on time them you have a problem that needs attention. If you have a weak battery you don't go out and buy a quick start battery tender for $75 to keep if the trunk to boost your car all day, You buy a new battery

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is because of the basic design in our CCCI ignition system. Our cars won't start unless 1) there is enough fuel pressure in the fuel rail; 2)the CAM sensor rotates into the interrupted window. The spark and fuel injection won't initiate until the cam sensor goes thru its cycle...which could take as much as TWO complete revolutions of the crank. This is why they tend to take a lot of cranking to get the engine started. The 3800's don't have this problem because they initiate the spark and fuel almost instantly (18x crank sensor along with a 3x sensor). The QS module attempts to force the initiation cycle for spark instantly upon cranking, causing a spark and fuel cycle (albeit out of sync) enough to overcome the lengthy crank cycle. Soooo, we'll see if it does the trick.
Regards,
John Spina http://www.casperselectronics.com

·
Registered
165 Posts
hey i drive my car everyday. i can test it for you. one question, is it free or do i have to pay to test it b/c if i have to pay then i cant test it b/c i am a little low on the cash flow. BTW, thats one sweet ass cobra you built

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would be interested in testing. I am sending you an email

------------------
87GN
Money Pit

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by turbo buick:
hey i drive my car everyday. i can test it for you. one question, is it free or do i have to pay to test it b/c if i have to pay then i cant test it b/c i am a little low on the cash flow. BTW, thats one sweet ass cobra you built
You sucking up to John for 1 eh?

Anyway.
I received my QSM saturday.
I put it in saturday after I let my car cool off from driving.
At first. I thought... I don't think this item is working. It seemed to take the same amount of time to crank.

I then thought. Well. I'll test the other feature to see it that worked.
As per the instructions that came with it said. Should the cam sensor be bad it may take a few tries to get it to start.
I gave up after 2 attempts.
I plugged the QSM and cam sensor back together.
I hit the key to start and it did indeed fire up faster than usual in 2 ways.
The engine seemed to crank faster than it use to and the engine fired sooner than it use to.
I later on gave the "bad cam sensor" function a try and it did indeed start up.
And as per instructions stated. It did cough a bit but did start and run. SES light came on showing code 41 and it did smooth out a some after running a few seconds.

I shut it down after a bit and waited awhile and did it again.
It worked again.
So John. I know it has only been on 1 day and you are asking for feedback within 2 weeks.
I will continue to test on it for 2 weeks and let you know if anything changes.
I do believe that this device is working as designed.
Also it was brought up in the quote above on price for beta testing. Is it indeed free to us testers.
Keep up the good work.
TIA

·
Registered
165 Posts
so, John do you have all the testers you need? if not let me know

------------------
87 GN
one mod:
JATO unit
times:
3.5 @ 400 mph

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I received mine yesterday too. Didn't put it on yet and only read half the first page. I was busy trying to install the low fuel light on a digital dash car.
Found out you can't do that. ooops.

Got the cruise stalk in however so all is good.

GN has a brand new battery and is mostly stock. It starts real real quick. I am going to try the thing on salvage V6 with the maxeffort chip and more mods. It takes the two cranks sometimes but always fires up properly. It will be a good test.

Didn't think I would get one to test after Ed's followup to my reply.

Thank you for allowing me to Beta test and you will get an honest reply regarding your product.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car didn't even start this fast in '87, when it was new. I also have the mini-starter and it starts really, really fast.

It works great! Just got it yesterday. I liked the idea that it took a few seconds to hook up...Plug and Play.

Neat stuff John!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I misplaced mine already. Changed radios in the GN today.

I think it's in my briefcase with the recent mail, or else lost with my second powerplate that was gonna go on the GN. Hmmmm....

I'll find it tomorrow now that I know how easy it is to put on.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
I misplaced mine already. Changed radios in the GN today.

I think it's in my briefcase with the recent mail, or else lost with my second powerplate that was gonna go on the GN. Hmmmm....

I'll find it tomorrow now that I know how easy it is to put on.
Does your briefcase open faster?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
It was in there. Whew, the power plate wasn't however.

Gn starts too quick for a test car.

SalvageV6 is a perfect electronics test bed.

Hoping it works too.

The only thing in the briefcase is Turbobuick parts, literature, catalogs, and of course the bills.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
It is in and working. Very easy install, even Zap and 'Boid could get it right, well working together anyway.

I haven't tried starting with the cam sensor unplugged (defective) yet. That sounds interesting.

I will say all the new cam and crank sensors we produce here, ummm I mean in Mexico, are required to have sync'd output well within the one revolution of the crank. MDR sensors they are called. Not totally sure if it matters other than a good use of new technology other than saving a few cranks on the starter motor.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh yes the beauty of electronics...
Actually the feedback I'm getting already leans more towards the fact that the QS module, providing a "limp-home" feature, is the real winner here. It assures a failed CAM sensor won't leave your GN stranded (normally when the CAM sensor goes, you call a tow truck). Anyway, for that reason alone I'm thinking it shows its beauty. But I'll let you guys be the judges.
Do try starting the car with the sensor unplugged though. If it doesn't start within about three seconds, turn the key off, then try it again...you will be starting it within a few tries.
-John Spina http://www.casperselectronics.com

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I agree 100% with the safety ease of mind on the cam sensor failure thing.

I would buy one, well maybe not now,
just to put it in the toolbox in the trunk as a safety net. Nobody wants a brand new cam sensor spare rattling around in the trunk on a daily driver.

I guess if the sensor dies on me and it goes into the limp home mode it will throw a code so I know it is bad, or won't run optimally in which case it will only take me a few weeks to find out why.

For a driver and anyone going on trips it could be a lifesaver or tripsaver.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts