Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my car is off the road and not being driven. I try to start it up every so often to keep everything oiled up etc. Anyway a couple of days ago I tried to start her up and it fired up for a split second and fell flat on her face. I tried repeatedly to start it and no luck. Tried again today with the same exact results. First try seemed like it was going to fire up for a split second and blah, blah, same results.

The fuel pump is working, there are no CEL's, new starter, new battery, new plugs and wires. The stock MAF pipe has a tear in it (has had one since I've owned and never had this problem). I'm just trying to give you guys as much info as possible.

I'm moving to my new house soon and would like it to make the trip under it's own power :confused: (it's 10 minutes across town).

Any suggestions? Where should I start to diagnose the problem? Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I really don't want this car to make another trip on the flatbed (it has 2 already under it's belt this year).

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
start by telling us if it has spark, injector pulse, and fuel pressure :)

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve Wood said:
start by telling us if it has spark, injector pulse, and fuel pressure :)
It does have FP and spark. Injrctor pulse I will have to verify. Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
if it has no injector pulse, I would think the cam sensor has failed...if it does have some kinda pulse, I would pull the cam sensor cap off and make sure the interupter wheel is firmly affixed with the locating tab. Look at my site for a picture under tech pictures if you don't know what I am talking about. then crank the engine over and make sure it is turning while you are cranking.

:)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Steve, I was misinformed, I bought a spark test thing-a-ma-bob (looks like a pen with a fuse) and confirmed there is no spark.

Stupid question: How do I test "injector pulse". I did a search but didn't find a "how-to".

Edit: Just read your site a little more thoroughly. I need a noid lite. Ignore my last post.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
injector noid light set- buy them at any autoparts store in the tools section

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If no spark, I would look at the crank sensor first to see if the bracket broke.

If it looks okay, then we need to know if it has injector pulse...noid lite is normally less than ten bucks...just unclip one of the injector leads and plug the lite into the lead...then watch it while cranking the engine...it should blink periodically :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve Wood said:
If no spark, I would look at the crank sensor first to see if the bracket broke.

If it looks okay, then we need to know if it has injector pulse...noid lite is normally less than ten bucks...just unclip one of the injector leads and plug the lite into the lead...then watch it while cranking the engine...it should blink periodically :)
OK, I went to 4 different places today for a noid lite and no one has them (Sears, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA). I'll order one on-line I suppose.

Steve (or anyone else that can answer this), is the cam sensor at the fron of the motor with 3 wires coming out of it w/a plastic cover held in place by 2 phillips screws? Sorry for the noob questions......I search this stuff out but the GNTTYPE info I saw is a little unclear.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Sinical said:
OK, I went to 4 different places today for a noid lite and no one has them (Sears, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA). I'll order one on-line I suppose.

Steve (or anyone else that can answer this), is the cam sensor at the fron of the motor with 3 wires coming out of it w/a plastic cover held in place by 2 phillips screws? Sorry for the noob questions......I search this stuff out but the GNTTYPE info I saw is a little unclear.

No spark? what kind of sound does the fuel pump make when you first turn the key on? No sound? I'd be thinking the ecm isn't getting any power. Try and probe the orange ECM power wire near the battery to make sure power is getting through it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TurboDave said:
No spark? what kind of sound does the fuel pump make when you first turn the key on? No sound? I'd be thinking the ecm isn't getting any power. Try and probe the orange ECM power wire near the battery to make sure power is getting through it.
The fuel pump turns on, I tried it again this morning and it started for a split second then died and then just cranks but doesn't turn over. Steve Wood is asking me to check the crank sensor but I'm unsure exactly where that is :dunno: . I'm thinking that it's at the front of the motor with 3 wires coming out of it with a plastic cap affixed by (2) phillips screws?

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
Sinical said:
The fuel pump turns on, I tried it again this morning and it started for a split second then died and then just cranks but doesn't turn over. Steve Wood is asking me to check the crank sensor but I'm unsure exactly where that is :dunno: . I'm thinking that it's at the front of the motor with 3 wires coming out of it with a plastic cap affixed by (2) phillips screws?
That is the cam sensor.

The crank sensor is located at the bottom front of the engine on the drivers side , and off to the side of the harmonic balancer.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
see the pictures on my site....under techpictures

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
STOMPN 6 said:
That is the cam sensor.

The crank sensor is located at the bottom front of the engine on the drivers side , and off to the side of the harmonic balancer.
Thank you sir, I'll check it tomorrow. Is there a cover of some sort that needs to be pulled off first to be able to check it?

Sorry for the noob questions guys.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve Wood said:
see the pictures on my site....under techpictures
Is the picture on your site just as it appears under the car? Or is there anything that needs to be removed to get at the crank sensor?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sinical said:
Is the picture on your site just as it appears under the car? Or is there anything that needs to be removed to get at the crank sensor?
that is the way it is...

crawl under the car and look at the bottom of the damper angled toward the drivers side

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Steve. I appreciate it. :cheers:

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Sinical said:

Exactly as the picture displays it. (driver's side)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.