Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a problem with my 1980 Regal 3.8 v6 N/A, It wont start and i'm pretty sure its because the cars not shifting into Park properly, sometimes if i fiddle about with it and get frustrated and ram the shifter into park it will fire up ?otherwise i get absolutely nothing, not even a click from the starter solenoid ?

So i think i need a shifter cable (i have no floor shift, just column) but i can't find one, can anyone help at all ? part numbers suppliers that ship overseas anything will do ! or even a US translation of "column Shift cable" ??

thanks

·
Just another kinky six
1,587 Posts
You don't have a cable, you've got linkage and it needs adjusting if the starter isn't kicking on or the ignition switch is bad. What you need to do is use a test light and see if the starter is getting a signal. Ground the test light and touch the small wire attached to the solinoid. Have someone trun the key like they were trying to start it and see if the light comes on. If it doesn't then you need to do the same thing to the ignition switch on the steering column to see if it's sending the signal to the starter or not.

At this point if no signal is getting to the starter from either location turn the key on (run not start) and short the starter to see if it spins and starts the engine. Report back after doing these test and then I can give you a better idea of what's going on.:)

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks for the reply i will have to get on it one evening this week and will let you know what i find.

its very much appreciated.:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts