Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter decided to go south on me last night, luckly I was still in the garage. I crawled underneath my car and it looks like I have to remove the crossover pipe to get the starter out..Does that have to be removed to get the starter out??? Any tips??

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yep...gotta drop the cross over....disconnect the battery...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't have to on mine. Just removed the flexplate. I have the Poston crosspipe, so maybe the angle isn't as radical as the stock one??? I usually wrap the ground cable in a rag or bag to avoid zapping!

[This message has been edited by GNX (edited July 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
My GN eats at least one starter per year. I just changed it again on Sunday. I have the stock crossover pipe and have never needed to remove the pipe to remove the starter.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Looks like I was outvoted!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm with Steve, It was a lot easier with the crossover out of the way. I wasted 1/2 hour fiddling with the starter/crossover interference, when it only took five minutes to remove the crossover and another 5 to reinstall it. My crossover is a BGC SS one so maybe that makes a difference.

------------------
UNGN
My Timeslips Page
My G-body Homepage

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I installed a new starter over the weekend, removing cross over
sure made it easier. While I had the starter out I pulled the engine mounts, the driver side came out in 2 pieces, ouch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts