Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1984 GN was recently diagnosed as needing a valve job. I brought the car to a shop in Bonita Springs, Florida to proceed with the job. I was told the car needed the valve job because compression was 50 lbs in one cylinder (middle one on passenger side - #5?) and on the drivers side were 165, 145 and 130.

The shop is not really forthcoming with any information since i dropped the car off 10 days ago. The car will supposedly be ready on Monday or Tuesday and I would like to be better prepared for any discussion with them. To that end I would like to know whether there is a standard head reconditioning process and what the process is.

I believe the machine shop should inspect for cracks, inspect valve guides and seals, clean heads, grind valves and valve seats, replace burnt valves and test valve springs to standard specs.

Am I correct?
If not where am I wrong?

Thanks very much
Phil Errett
1984 GN

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
The heads should be disassembled...degreased and magged. The sealing surface should be checked for straight...and if need be milled...but only the bare minumum. If needed...valve guide(s) should be replaced and a valve job performed. Springs should be replaced/shimmed as per your cam requirement...with a new set of valve seals.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thank you. Apparently they replaced one burnt valve; so I expect they have triple edge ground the new valve and seat.

Yet to hear that the car is ready.

Thanks again.

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts