Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm running a 3600 top hat with a PT-52. Probably too much converter but I can stage last and leave at full boost with the best of the normally aspirated cars. Downside is that it's too loose to get down the quarter mile without locking converter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My last turbo was the PT-54. I used the same stall i run now, the Art Carr 9" 3200. I liked the spoolup quite well. It was not fast or slow but quick! Worked excellent with the tbrake at track or even good brake boost from a roll on the street. I would agree that a 3000 stall is a tad too small. I would go with 3200-3500 depending on how important spoolup is to you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have a Pat's Converter 12" l/u 2800 and the spool is to my tastes for the street.. it won't blow the tires off.. but when i floor it, the spool up works well to come in without blowing the tires off.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmmm, I can't comment on that combo FamilyMan, but for the street I like a big turbo that comes on with just enough power to avoid tire spin. At the track, with de-flated Nittos, 3# is where I get the best 60' times. Naturally I can launcg with 6-7PSI, but it does no good.

Just a thought but instead of going with a pte-54, and a stall convertor, I wonder what would happen with a B.B turbo, and the D-5?

Of course if you are planning on racing with slicks, then this wouldn't the way to go.

Wasn't SalvageV6 thinking about a B.B. turbo?

Heck I've been throuhg 3 turbos in 3 years. I burnt one up when the timing stuck at 28* (God bless 'o' rings!) and the seals went on the other 2. If I had it to do all over I would have went with a BB in the first place. I hear they hold up very well...

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I think of a lot of things Tim. wink

Fortunately I don't post them out loud anymore. :D

Got a rebuild '62 from Nick M. in AZ.

Couldn't afford the BB yet. Maybe next job...

Not on the car yet however, still have the PTE51.

Got a 3200 stall protorque too, don't like it all that much with the Hi-Pro tranny. Clunky and harsh so far maybe it will get smoother when the new driveshaft goes in and the rear blows up.

Carry on...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently got a PT54 and was advised by PTE to go with a minimum of 3200 stall with this turbo. After doing some research I decided to go with a 3500 PTS 9-11 converter. I haven't installed it yet so I don't have any feedback at this time, but next week or so I will post my thoughts on this combo....

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts