·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes a block a stage II block?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
There are some casting marks that will let you identify them. Better alloy of cast iron, four-bolt mains, and six additional head bolts are big differences. Stage I was same casting, without the extra machine work.

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting ready to build a engine and don't want to make mistakes in parts. I have decided I want the horsepower somewhere around 450-500. I talked to TA Performance this morning. I just want the right parts going in the engine so I don't have to go back and upgrade. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TA performance is def the way to go with thier aluminum block, but they only make them in short castings so you have to find out if there casting at the moment, or if they have any. you might want to consider going with a on center block, to reduce your piston drag, but im not really an expert on that.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
TurboBuickSix said:
The stock block can handle that type of horsepower no need for a stage if your HP is going to be 500 IMO.
I agree- no need to get involved in extra machine work, and hard-to-find parts, if you just want the power. The Stage II would be nice to have, though, if you don't mind the extra $$, and would be more "bullet proof" than the stock block.

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When getting started, keep standard bore? What type of crank, rods, pistons when shottin for 400-500 horsepower. How about main bearings, rod bearings. Thanks for getting me educated guys!!!!!!!!!!

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
Girdled stock block, with forged pistons stock crank and rods will run in the tens all day no problem.

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stock rods and crank? Really. What do you guys think are the best pistons. I don't want to bore the block either, Right?

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
blackgn1 said:
When getting started, keep standard bore? What type of crank, rods, pistons when shottin for 400-500 horsepower. How about main bearings, rod bearings. Thanks for getting me educated guys!!!!!!!!!!

I'm making 450HP in track trim on a bone stock engine. Only external bolt on's and a bullet proof tranny.

With a steel crank, forged pistons, and good rods, 500 hp should not be a problem. The block is not the weak link, so much as the tranny. Once you start pushing over 350hp consistently, the tranny will need some attention.

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have only been a member of this site for a very short time and learning alot of facts quick. Thanks everyone for the help. Whats a good tranmission for 500 horse power?

·
Boost Sux my Wallet
1,297 Posts
To answer the piston question....forged trw, diamonds, je, etc

As far as the trans goes Century trans, Art Carr, level ten, PTS extreme are some good ones

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
blackgn1 said:
I have only been a member of this site for a very short time and learning alot of facts quick. Thanks everyone for the help. Whats a good tranmission for 500 horse power?

Any of the reputable tranny vendors we have can make your present tranny hold up to way more than 500hp. The right use of billet parts will pretty much bullet proof them up to the 500 hp level. Try as I may, I've never been able to break mine since it's rebuild replacing the weak parts with billet pieces.

·
"High Boost" Plug Wires
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turbo Dave, noticed you live in Tennessee. Who did your transmission work?

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
blackgn1 said:
Turbo Dave, noticed you live in Tennessee. Who did your transmission work?
I had mine done by Don Wang out in Southern CA when I was living in San Diego. He used some good clutches that he's familiar with, and several of the hard parts were replaced with Bruce Toelle (performance transmisions of Sacramento) billet parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts