Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have my first 87 GN. I was taking the car for a detail. At about1/4 tank and the 38th mile of driving the car started to sputter. Had the tank and lines flushed, had some bad fuel. She has just over 26,000 miles.
On the way back, sputter was intermittent at hwy miles 70. Checked the coil and looks fine on primary and secondary. Tps is reading .36 and 3.80 with a lack of power. Any ideas.....

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
Coils may "look fine"... Need to be tested. [I check them hot]
TPS is not set correctly. Too low.
Suggest you do the "spring cleaning".

Were the injs cleaned when the fuel system was flushed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im having the same problem.... if the coil is bad would it not perform the same hot or cold with the hesitation there?? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coil was checked with a meter. I made an attempt to increase the WOT V by adjusting the TPS, it is all the forward, will not hit above 4.00. Before I purchased the car it was tuned by a guru so I did not want to make any adjustments until I identify what the issue may be. Is it possible that the TPS is bad or possible the spring cleaning. Best to use a injector cleaner or have them pulled?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Make 2 more posts in this section and shortly afterwards you will be given the ability to post in the other sections of the board where you will get more help.

Welcome to the board. :cheers:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure to check the injectors. I figured my problem out lastnight. Run the car and one by one disconnect each injector and see if the engine rpm changes. My number 3 injector was bad. Just my 0.02 cents

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
Nope..

Im having the same problem.... if the coil is bad would it not perform the same hot or cold with the hesitation there?? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread
May run fine til the engine gets hot and the module/coils heat up.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
May run fine til the engine gets hot and the module/coils heat up.
Then it slowly starts melting.
Take the 6 bolts out, separate coil & module then see what's inside?
Where are you located? I have a Caspers Tester you can borrow if your close?

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
There is no primary and secondary coils. There are 3 pairs of coils. Measure with an ohm meter front to back on each pair. If any pair has high resistance the coil pack is bad. However, this tends to only cause issues under WOT, high boost.

Your TPS is way out of whack. Idle TPS should be about 0.42-0.45 volts. Wide open should be over 4.3 volts. You can slid the TPS back and forth and tilt it up and down. Rotate the tang on the TPS with your finger and see what range you can get. See if the pin on the throttle plate is bent.

What is your fuel pressure? This sounds more like fuel delivery to me. Has the fuel filter been replaced? How old and what is in it for a fuel pump.?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts