Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Moderator/Procrastinator
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey is it possible to use an alchy kit which sprays thru the turbo? In the hot air config, it's a little hard to locate a nozzle between the turbo and intake.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've heard of people doing some real bad damage with a setup like that... can't think of who it was.

In a hotair is there room to drill the manifold for nitrous nozzles? Maybe 2 really small jetted nozzles in the center of the intake or something? Dunno.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It has been done..but it has also sawed the blades off as well. Someone is running alky on a hot air car, tho...someone should speak up.

Apparently Zap is locked in the bathroom studying feet so I am sure Louie will fill the void....

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I'm not sure Louie could fill those shoes...

So to speak.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
So to speak?
Not even using sign language!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Sawing off turbine blades?Somebody wan't using a small enough orifice with good pressure.Two .015" NOS jets should work.You have to atomize the water,water/alchol mix.Otherwise the water acts like a cutting jet.
Here's what I plan to try:
Two NOS jets[.015"]located 4" from the turbo compressor inlet.
One pressurized holding tank.
One washer pump.
One solenoid w/ Hobbs switch control set for 10 psi.
Here's the way it should work;
Boost comes up turning on Hobbs switch.
Pump starts injecting water,water/alchohol mix into intake pipe.
As boost rises,container becomes pressurized at higher and higher rates,forcing more mixture at higher rates and better atomization into pipe.
This system,or a variation thereof has been used in the past and seems to work well.
Aguy up our way[Turbo Joe],runs a Kawasaki bike with a turbo kit he designed himself,I believe.Before the kit the bike ran tens.With the kit he got mid nines.
That was only with the pressurized container,no pump.
So basing my plans on his past experience and the findings of others,it should work.
Two patents have been issued over the years for a similar system.
One was to Fedden and Anderson in 1936.
The other was to Maurice Goudard 1942.
The only thing that might help this is to include a boost controlled shutoff valve for the mixture and boost feed to the container.
As you might have guessed,I have some logistics to work out,but I think I can make it work.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Send your new turbo bill to RK!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I wonder if turbos had cast iron guts back then?

I also bet that Ronco has a bunch of patents on useless crap. I'd rather have a pocket fisherman than a turbine destroying alcohol system.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Ouch, those guys are meana$$es.

I say go for it, I'll be next in line right behind you!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Sand draggers used to do it....but...more than one has lost a compressor wheel doing it.

There was a big debate on this topic a few years ago on the list. Seems like Jason Cramer or his father had some experience with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 85 GN there was threaded plug in the front lower right hand side of the plenum area, I don't know if that would work. I know when that backs out its not a good deal.

------------------
85 GN Gone to the Big D
70 GS350
66 GS 400 4spd 2/4s
GSCA #587

·
Habitual Line Stepper
401 Posts
lee thompson runs one of his alky stages spraying into the turbo.john craig builds his turbos and told lee that if the alky was properly atomized it wouldn't hurt the wheel.

that egr port is a good idea zap,i'll have to check that out.

later,sean

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Chemical Intercooling! The man is smart!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
I'll be next in line right behind you!
I'll be behind you yelling "It'll NEVER work", then I'll do it if it does.

Seriously though, are you planning on injecting straight methanol (sorry, insert your favorite alcohol there) RK? If using part water mix I'd be careful that the water might condense in the IC. Might want a drain plug in the bottom of it otherwise.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6:
I'll be behind you yelling "It'll NEVER work", then I'll do it if it does.

Seriously though, are you planning on injecting straight methanol (sorry, insert your favorite alcohol there) RK? If using part water mix I'd be careful that the water might condense in the IC. Might want a drain plug in the bottom of it otherwise.

I don't think condensation will be a problem.Ever drive your car on a cold,rainy day?The power is even higher than on just a cold day,at least in my case.That's what got me thinking.
As long as the water/alchohol mix is atomized properly,it should not present problems to the compressor wheel.
Probably won't get it worked out til' next year[too much else to do]on the new combo.
But then again,you never know.
Steve,you're a mean ass,but thanks for the heads up.Forewarned is forearmed.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Don't drive my car in the rain.

How do you rate power? I dunno if my park ave makes more power in the rain or not, cause it'll just buzz the tire(s). I still have to think that even 100% humidity would have less condensation issues in the IC.

My reasoning for this is based on working on my camaro on the side of the road one rainy day. I figured it was sucking in water, well pulled off the air cleaner and the top of the carb was dry as a bone. Thusly, I think air fliters also serve as a condenser for intake air, the filter will get damp, but the carb stays dry. I have no factual basis for believing that a paper or cotton filter can serve as an air dryer, but I have none to dispute it either.

BTW - The remedy for the camaro was a can of gas, never did like the fuel level gauge in that car.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I don't think condensation will be a problem.Ever drive your car on a cold,rainy day?The power is even higher than on just a cold day,at least in my case.That's what got me thinking.

[/B][/QUOTE]

If your car runs better on wet days, then you are running too lean. The higher the humidity, the lousier the air. Look at one of the density altitude calculations and you will see that humidity raises the altitude.
Lower the temp, the lower the altitude.

Mean Ass and good at it!

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Actually,I don't think it's too lean[I have an S/M 2].But what I do remember is that moisture is good at decarboning cylinders,as well as a few other things.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by The Radius Kid:
Actually,I don't think it's too lean[I have an S/M 2].But what I do remember is that moisture is good at decarboning cylinders,as well as a few other things.

Damn, you do the Texas Side Step pretty good.

Cars go slower on humid days than the do on dry days when the temp is the same.

But, you are right, we used to suck water in thru a vacuum hose at fast idle when the engine was really hot and blow all kinda stuff out the tailpipes as the steam went to work.

ATR even listed a decarbonizing gel kit for our cars. I always wondered what happened when a chunk of carbon hit the blades....

Put an alky kit on and the engine will never have any carbon build up in the cylinder.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts