Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 and 1/2 years ago my speedo cable wiped out the plastic housing and took the speedo with it. So i went to my local parts store and bought an after market cable.It was a 1 peice not a two peice like the factory one.Off to the junk yard to find a used speedo.Couldn't find one with the trip odometer so I took apart my broke one and the good one swapped out the mile clickers and installed it.Friday nite it started screetching loudly jumping all over the place etc. It's driving me nuts.I put lots of lube on the cable when it was new. Should I start looking for another speedo and cable since this one appears to be on it's way out? eek!

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You have to determine if it's the cable or speedo head that's bad. Disconnect the cable from the speedo head and drive the car. If you hear or feel it binding or whipping then that's your problem. Try and turn the speedo head with a small drill and see if it makes the noises you said. You can send it out for repair but it's expensive. Try looking for another used one and test it before installing it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts