Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound system in my 86 sounds bad and that is not a good bad. Started looking at the speakers and they are the original ones. I see the rear speakers are 10 ohms and I have not removed a front speaker to see what they used but they all need to be replaces. What do you recommend, are 4-ohm speakers ok? What about the speakers in the door panels, how do you get them out? Thanks for your help.

Jack

·
KILRV6, Chris Fasulo
54 Posts
Front speakers are 3" diameter and very shallow depth. Ones with the correct depth are now hard to find. I bought a pair off ebay 10 years ago so you may have to do some looking to find replacements. The rear speakers are 4x10s and are the biggest short coming in the system. I do not have speakers in my doors--that was the "concert sound" option. You need to remove the speaker grills on the door then remove the door panel. The door pull strap needs to come off, then the piece were there interior door release is--look for any Phillips head screws and remove them. Unscrew the door lock plunger at the top of the door panel. From there, start at the bottom and pry out on the interior door panel. It is held on by plastic fasteners that look like upside down Christmas trees. If you break any you can get replacements at NAPA.
Once the panel is off you can just unscrew the speaker from the door frame. I think the door speakers are 5" diameter. Aside from the knowing the rear speakers are 10 ohms, I do not know what the impedance of the others are.
4x10's are poor at best for producing good bass. I switched to a set of 6x9s with adapters to make them fit. I screwed the speakers to the adapters and then bolted the adapters to the stock locations. It does require drilling and you need to take the rear interior trim off to do it. Keep in mind our cars are over 25 years old and things are brittle so be careful taking stuff apart.

Maybe make a phone call to Crutchfield as they will probably know what will work for all 3 locations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts