Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headbang: I am rebuilding my engine in my turbo regal. I have a TE44 turbo, pte stock location intercooler, 36# injectors, ram air induction, hooker exhaust, 62mm throttle body, 2800 stahl convertor, razors alky. I am going to be sticking with the same turbo and intercooler and stahl convertor. Would it be nessesary to get ported polished heads if I had the extra cash and would I see a notisable gain by them or should I just stick with the stockers. Any advice on the engine rebuild would be greatly appreciated. Do I really need to upgrade the injectors if going to ported heads. I am not on a big budget just a midium one.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Port the heads,if you can afford it.
Just don't run high boost with those injectors.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Port the heads, if you can do it yourself. Porting the stock heads will not gain much, and you will be better off spending the money somewhere else. A good three angle valve job, with back cut valves, will get much of the flow benefits from porting the heads. Check the "recipes" at GnTType.org, and RJC Racing, to get an idea of what mods are needed for any specific level of performance. Tom Cramer (recipe at RJC Racing) got into the tens on stock heads and intake- just as an example.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
*Note to poster* If you plan on getting GN1s or other performance heads in the future you WILL NOT recoup the money you spend on getting the stock heads ported through the sale of those heads. If this is an issue then you should leave them be and upgrade to the better heads when possible. You could spend the money on bigger injectors to be ready for the increased air flow you will have once the heads are changed.

This is first hand experience. I have a set of ported stock heads in my garage that I'll sit on till they turn to pile of rust because the market just isn't giving what they are worth. They will end up on an extra engine I am putting together in place of the unported stockers that are already on it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be a good injector to upgrade too with the stock computer. I don't really want to spend more than 300.00 dollars on injectors if that is possible. How much boost would I be able to run with ported heads and 36 pounders without breaking the bank, shouldnt the alky help out also with the 36#'ers. I have heard of alot of people getting into the 11's with 36#ers, am I wrong :dunno:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
kawasakki said:
What would be a good injector to upgrade too with the stock computer. I don't really want to spend more than 300.00 dollars on injectors if that is possible. How much boost would I be able to run with ported heads and 36 pounders without breaking the bank, shouldnt the alky help out also with the 36#'ers. I have heard of alot of people getting into the 11's with 36#ers, am I wrong :dunno:
There's also a lot of guys with headgasket collections from trying to run 11's with 36's. Yes, a few guys have done it, but, it takes a very fine tune to get there, and there's little to no room for error. Stepping up to 60's only makes sense.. No ecm mods are needed to run them.

Buy, a set of stock heads, and do your own porting. For a TR it's not that big of deal. The biggie is just smoothing out the combustion chambers, so as to get rid of any places that would become *hot spots*. In smoothing (not even polishing), the heads you can reduce the surface area, A LOT, and then the heat normally that just goes into the cooling system, gets trapped into moving the piston... Matching up the ports is just icing on the cake.

·
Older--but Getting Wiser
2,250 Posts
Just ck out our Board vendors for injectors... just port your own stock heads, because you'll never get your money back from PAYING someone to do it. You can port your own & still use your 36#'ers.

Switch injectors only if you want new (say GN1) heads or are doing other or preparing for future mods...

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
36# Injectors are safe enough till 11.80s & 115 mph. (Though I know someone that went 11.34 @ 118 on them too)
I am not up on the 60# injectors. How is the chip slection for those? I do like the 50s due to the spray pattern and large selection of chips available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts