Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not a new or an original idea from me, but it sure fixed my deep sump PVC valve and figure I would post details for those pulling their hair out trying to come up with a solution to this problem. After I did this, reset the ECM, my BLMs went from 134-136 idle, to a "perfect" 128 even after I drove the car around to let it relearn. Also, cruise BLMs appear to be more stable and don't jump around as much. My guess is that all the oil in the PVC valve made the valve sticky and caused air flow problems.

First, take your original stock passenger side valve cover breather with rubber elbow still attached, remove the oil soaked fiber from the inside of it with a pair of needle nose pliers and clean the breather with degreaser. Take exactly one ply of a paper towel and stuff it back into the breather leaving the screen intact. NOTE: If you don't have your original breather anymore, www.gbodyparts.com carries them and the elbow.

Second, take a hacksaw to a new PVC valve and cut off a portion or all of the lower nipple. Now place the PVC valve in the rubber elbow, cut length of fuel hose to fit up to vacuum block, and VOILA!

Third, either just leave the old PVC valve in the intake valley as it won't cause a problem when no vacuum is applied to it. Or, be creative and hunt down something to plug the hole with.

SEE PIC:

Attachments

·
Not a Selfproclaimed guru
420 Posts
I tried most methods of stopping the oil and this worked best by far.Pulls almost none,maybe a teaspoon a month compared too a pint a month but I left the factory foam because it was ok.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
87geeinn said:
This is not a new or an original idea from me, but it sure fixes my deep sump PVC valve and figure I would post details for those pulling their hair out trying to come up with a solution to this problem. After I did this, reset the ECM, my BLMs went from 134-136 idle, to a "perfect" 128 even after I drove the car around to let it relearn. Also, cruise BLMs appear to be more stable and don't jump around as much. My guess is that all the oil in the PVC valve make the valve sticky and caused air flow problems.

First, take your original stock passenger side valve cover breather with rubber elbow still attached, remove the oil soaked fiber from the inside of it with a pair of needle nose pliers and clean the breather with degreaser. Take exactly one ply of a paper towel and stuff it back into the breather leaving the screen intact. NOTE: If you don't have your original breather anymore, www.gbodyparts.com carries them and the elbow.

Second, take a hacksaw to a new PVC valve and cut off a portion or all of the lower nipple. Now place the PVC valve in the rubber elbow, cut length of fuel hose to fit up to vacuum block, and VOILA!

Third, either just leave the old PVC valve in the intake valley as it won't cause a problem when no vacuum is applied to it. Or, be creative and hunt down something to plug the hole with.

SEE PIC:
I'm confused. YOu mention sawing off the bottom portion of the PCV!! Isn't that where the valve mechanism is???? That's what makes it work. Maybe I missed something.

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just cut off part of the lower nipple. Hmmm, that's sounds painful. I'll let the pictures do the talking. It just helps the PVC valve fit flush inside the elbow for a leak-free connection. Notice the actual valve is still intact. :cheers:

Attachments

·
dismember
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Additional Info

The breathers can be had at PimpBoys for $6.49. It is Purolator part # B23128. :headbang:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts