Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys remeber me posting a problem with my car having problems? I was having the problem of this loud sound that mimics the sound of a turbo, except its a hell of a lot louder. Well, I put some tranny fluid in my car cause it was super low and the sound went away. Before I did that it was going up to 5 lbs, but just wasnt pulling. Now I can only run 0 lbs of boost. Whenever it goes beyond that, the car slows down as if I'm not on the accelerator. :dunno: What could this issue be. It went from running 3-5 lbs with a loud sound and no pull, to running 0 lbs with a minor pull. The car seems to sputter.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
did you check your vac. lines?

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
phil_long said:
They must be fine because Im getting proper readings on my boost gauge.
No ASSuming, check the lines. You could have a vac leak that only shows under load. I have had this.. also check your IC to TB hose..well crap just check all the hoses.. Does the car still shift hard or is it sliding into gears?

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Sorry to say the trans is toast..

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Check the hose from IC to TB. I had the exact same thing happen and it was because a blew a hose.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
without it boosting (which I did not address) it's harder to do..but
unplug the connetion at the trans, it's on the driverside of the trans. go for a quick drive. Does it slide into gear..yes..trans rebuild time...no..another problem.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Phil..you need to find a members in your area. Are there any meetings around you??? It'll really help you and the car to go hang out with them. :yup:

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Check the color & smell of the trans fluid. Should be red & not smell burnt. Another suggestion is to remove the tranny pan & check how much debris is in the filter & bottom of the pan. One other thing I did was have a 6 ft hose made up with a 300psi gauge on it that had a 1/4" NPT male fttg on the other end. There's an inspection/test port on the DS of the tranny ahead of and above the shift lever. Screw the hose into that and with the car warmed up, check the pressure. I think you do the test at idle and at 2K RPMs in 1,2,D & R. Seems like it should be around 145 in all but R & that ones about 225 psi. (I think) If you get ready to do this test, post back / email me and I'll look up the numbers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are the bomb. I will check it out and let you guys know. I actually have a guy not too far from here who specializes in TR's. He was off all week so I had to wait until this coming Monday. Hopefully the car will make it to him.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
phil_long said:
You guys are the bomb. I will check it out and let you guys know. I actually have a guy not too far from here who specializes in TR's. He was off all week so I had to wait until this coming Monday. Hopefully the car will make it to him.
Cool best way to learn about the cars :headbang:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ttype83 said:
Sorry to say the trans is toast..

Torque convertor was my first thought...if so, trans is likely shot from the debris too.

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Torque convertor was my first thought...if so, trans is likely shot from the debris too
Not necessesarily IMO. I'm on my 5th torque converter (didn't someone say to drive it like I stole it?? :D ) and had the tranny filter filled with clutch material twice. Tranny was never affected. If you find the same thing, fill & drain the tranny again before you drive the car or take it to one of those places for a tranny flush maybe. (I've never had that done on mine so... :dunno: )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts