Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Got boost?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a small valve tap that I had been wanting to figure out. Recently, I had been getting some knock under boost and very soon after I noticed this, my check engine light came on and my car was running terrible. I pulled over and looked it over with a friend in the middle of the night. Nothing out of the ordinary we could see, left it at the restaurant parking lot I was in and had it towed home the next morning.

A friend and I decided to pull the intake off my car and we discovered a nicely bent pushrod. So next was to find out what caused it.

Hello, new camshaft.

Now, I have a couple questions. I've been doing some reading and apparently hydraulic roller tappet is the way to go. So I'd need roller lifters, correct? Do I need to change anything else with a roller cam? And what is a good street cam? I have/had a 208/208.

Can I do all this with the engine still in the car if I take out the radiator, etc? Is there anything else I should do besides change cams? Any recommendations, tips, hints, words of wisdom?

I'm not happy that this happened by any means, but I'm learning a lot and surprisingly, I enjoy that. I like figuring everything out and fixing it. I am glad that it wasn't smething even more serious, although the cam will be a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
pull the oil pan- clean the debris out- change the oil a bunch of times when your done, bypass the factory oil cooler- if you dont do all that youll be putting new bearings in soon after the cam swap :D dont ask how i know

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sorry to see your crappy luck Kyle. It could definitely be worse... I know Charles (Sleeper-6) did his cam in the driveway, engine in car. In fact a lot of people probably have. I'm sure it's a ton easier with the motor on a stand, but it can be done in the car. I'd ask Charles and some others...put Pauly on that list, and give it a whirl. Once I get my %#*[email protected] car back together I can lend a couple extra hands if necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Man that sucks - seems everybodys having a bout of bad luck lately. I guess thats what happens when cars or any kind of machinery creep up on the 20 year old mark.

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Just been there, done that- cam,lifters,front cover, timing chain, oil pump.
I was getting random knock while cruising but no knock while boosting. Found the knock originating from front cover area. Pulled it and found only 4 teeth on the cam gear with nylon still atttached....the rest was in the bottom of the pan. BEAT. On a good note the front of the motor had never been opened so it lasted a good while. Pulled the cam and one lobe was wiped and another was on its way out. Lifters were obviously beat too. Oil pump was shot so it was changed while it was opened.

Ended up going with and Edelbrock 204/214 cam, edelbrock double roller timing chain, front cover and pump from Full throttle performance. Break in went well and its running great, better oil pressure now too. Running 17-18lbs of boost on 93 with no knock. All thanks to Mike Automotive in Waterford, NJ(856-753-0035).<----Highly recomended!!! :headbang:

I'm trying to get it downt o the track to see what it will run now.
Good Luck with yours!!!! :6:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
How many miles were on the engine when you saw the teeth were missing? My old car had approx 140,000 miles on it when the timing gears went altogether.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Purple87SS said:
Ended up going with and Edelbrock 204/214 cam, edelbrock double roller timing chain...
Always glad to hear of positive experiences with this setup...

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
very very important to pull oil pan and check some of the bearings...also pull valve covers make sure you flush flush flush flush...bypass oil cooler unless you know you can flush that...I am going thru exact same thing...you will be suprised at how much meat is missing from the cam too...also what valve and cylinder was it on and were you using synthetic or dino oil. if you bent a push rod...you need to find out how that happend...the lifter is it solid so that you cannot push it down in a vice...it could have locked up...also check your valves and springs

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
My best guesstimate would be around 115k give or take 10k. I bought the car with 163K and the motor was replaced with a 42k mile canadian motor by Bweavvy. He said, if he remembers right, the swap was done around 90k on the car's clock. So if my math is right its about 115k. :6:

·
Mad Scientist
494 Posts
You're on the right track, do a roller. I diddn't the first time and got to do the "driveway cam swap" twice. :crazy: Yes it can be done, Radiator needs to get out of the way and you'll have plenty of room. A so thers have said, clean the crap out of the pan and change the oil a couple of times after a few mins of run time. I found some cooler flush in a can, I think at Napa, So far so good. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Got boost?
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I thought I'd give a little update...

Pulled the heads the other day, everything looks good. Anyone know where to get 'em ported around here? :headbang:

Cleaned up a lot of grease and grime because my front cover was leaking bad. :eek:

I've been talking to the guy that my cam was originally purchased from over at John's Performance. Seems pretty nice, getting my entire roller setup and a bunch of other things I'm going to need. I decided to go with the comp cams 210/210 roller.

:6:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Do the roller, and then use an oil that has the Heavy Duty additive packages. The reformulation of the oils nowadays is going to mean watching closely what's going on, to prevent cam damage in the future. Hydralic rollers will probably become the only way to fly in the near future.

I've run both a billet, and non-billet hydralic roller now, and both have been sweet hearts. The billet versions gets $$$.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Gooch said:
Pulled the heads the other day, everything looks good. Anyone know where to get 'em ported around here? :headbang: :6:
The machine shop I used does some nice head work. My brother in law just got a set pocket ported by them...looks NICE! He couldn't afford the full P&P job, but what he got should be nice. His little Fox body should be tearing up Atco very soon. If you decide to use this shop let me know...I'll give you a couple names to mention when you go. :cheers:
Weston Machine, 161 11th St, Picataway
732-752-2711

·
Registered
429 Posts
I couldn't resist. Gooch's words made me think of this! (mind is a bit twisted)

Gooch said:
I'm not happy that this happened by any means, but I'm learning a lot and surprisingly, I enjoy that. I like figuring everything out and fixing it. I am glad that it wasn't smething even more serious, although the cam will be a lot of work.
Hopefully your feelings don't end up running this way over time. :wink:

Diary Of A Young Couple
Aug. 12
Moved to our new home in South Dakota. It is so beautiful here. The grasslands and hills are so serene and picturesque. Can hardly wait to see them with snow covering them. God's Country... I love it here.
Oct. 14
South Dakota is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turning all different colors. I love the shades of red, yellow, and orange. I went for a ride through some beautiful river bottoms and spotted some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most peaceful animals on earth. This must be paradise... I love it here.
Nov. 11
Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such an elegant creature. The very symbol of peace and tranquillity. Hope it will snow soon... I love it here.
Dec. 2
It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. Mother Nature in perfect harmony... I love South Dakota.
Dec. 12
More snow last night. I love it. The snow plow did his trick again (that rascal). A winter wonderland... I love it here.
Dec. 19
More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work this time. I'm exhausted from shoveling. Stupid snow plow.
Dec. 22
More of that white crap fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow plow man hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling this driveway, the butthead!
Dec. 25
"White Christmas" my butt! More stupid snow. If I ever get my hands on that idiot who drives that snow plow, I swear I'll castrate him! Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the stupid ice.
Dec. 28
More white crap last night. Been inside since Christmas Day except for shoveling out the driveway after "snow plow Harry" comes by every time. Can't go anywhere, car's buried in a mountain of white crap. The weatherman says expect another 10 inches of the crap tonight. Do you know how many shovels-full of snow 10 inches is?
Jan. 1
Happy Flipping New Year. The weatherman was wrong (again). We got 34 inches of the white crap this time. At this rate it won't melt before the 4th of July. The snow plow got stuck up the road, and the butthead had the gall to come to the door and ask to borrow my shovel. After I told him I've broken 6 shovels already, shoveling all the snow he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his head.
Jan. 4
Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a stupid deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3000 damage to the car. Those beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.
Apr. 3
Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rotting out from all the salt they keep dumping all over the road? Car looks like a piece of crap.
Apr. 10
Moved to Texas. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever want to live in God-Forsaken state of South Dakota.

Good luck with your project! I hope it comes out great for you!

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
1) You can do a cam swap with the engine in the car, but it will be a lot easier (in my opinion) with the motor out since you'll also want to remove the oil pan and check the main/rod bearings. With the engine on a stand this will be a LOT easier and with less mess. Also, since you removed the heads/intake it'll make cleaning the gasket surfaces easier since you don't have to lean into the engine compartment.

2) Since the heads are off, at least get a mild port job and 3 angle valve job done. You'll regret it if you don't.

3) A roller cam is a good bit more expensive than a flat tappet... but if at all possible, get one. All the cars that I've seen recently with rollers run REALLY well. My next cam will be a roller.

4) Update your signature so we know what kind of combo you are running now.

-Banning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts