Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there much of a difference between the original ribbed MAF pipe and a solid one? I know the solid one would probably flow air more smoothly but am I really going to notice much?

I am thinking adding a 9" K&N on place of the stock box and am wondering if I can just keep the stop ribbed flex thingy.

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

·
Registered
279 Posts
IMO there won't be much difference. I don't like the hard MAF pipes simply because they will get hotter than a flex hose. I use a 4" flex hose between the MAF and Turbo.

KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

http://www.geocities.com/kdslaby/solidworks.html

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
It will work. Might have to secure it to keep it out of the alternator once you put the filter on the end of the maf depending upon how you arrange it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I have to shorten the stock MAF hose any? Mine seems to have a lot of extra material but the ends are so nice and clean I didn't want to cut them.

Kevins, is the stock 4" or do you have a larger MAF pipe?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stock dia's I think are 3".

I took 4" o.d. x 3" i.d. rubber pvc hose from local hardware store and cut 2pcs 1" long.
I placed these rubber spacers over the stock inlet bell and MAF and then put the 4" hose over these "spacer".

Regards
KS

------------------

87GN, 12.05 @ 111, SIXTY FOOT 1.60-LAUNCH 15#, BONE STOCK LONG BLOCK, STOCK I.C. (BELL MOUTHED), STOCK TRANS/CONV, Stock Turbo, 009'S, RED'S 107 CHIP. HOME MADE 3" DOWN PIPE. RUNS CONSISTANT 12.10'S-12.11'S.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ignorant question Kevins but what are 009's? What octane do you run with the reds 107?

·
Registered
279 Posts
009's are 43.5# injectors. I run 110 with the 107 chip. I am now downgrading my combo a bit. At first I wanted to run 11.4's but after looking at how nice the car is I decided that I didn't want to put a cage in it. So now 12.0's is fast enough and the 009's are overkill along with the 107 chip.
I was running 26-27psi with a differnet turbo trying to run 11.6 with the 107 chip but only got 12.0's. Stock IC was a major plug in the system.

Regards
Kevin

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kevin, correct me if I'm wrong, but arent 009's 42.5lb not 43.5lb??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts