Turbo Buicks banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the car out for a drive in the nice weather.Noticed blue smoke coming from the exhaust.Only if I backed off it then gave it gas again.Then it got worse.Now the car smokes very heavily at idle.Turbo oil seal?If so can I fix it myself?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked the spark plugs and they are clean.But I do see oil on the tb near the inlet.Looks like it was oozing out from under the rubber inlet coupling dunno

·
Registered
221 Posts
I removed the inlet pipe on my 86 to paint it and it seems the hoses have oil in them but the pipe doesn't. I don't get blue smoke though. I am cleaning things out under the hood for the spring and I was just wondering where this issue originates.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I guess I am screwed.I took off the up pipe and the throttle body is full of oil.So is the inter-cooler.Great,now I have a 3500lb. paper weight.How much is this gonna cost to fix?It took me a long time to save the money for this P.O.S.I dont have a whole lot of money to fix this thing.Now the wife is giving me grief about this.Help?Anyone?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I drove my car 2 years with some oil leaking from the turbo seals.

Stop whining. Perhaps you should have investigated the car before the purchase?

Probably just need a replacement turbo center section should run you about $250 for a rebuilt one. If it isn't a stock turbo have it rebuilt prolly cost a bit more or you can get a used stocker until you can save up some money.

Do a top engine clean and clean out the stuff in the intercooler and throttle body, cost is next to nothing.

It is not terminal. Stay out of high boost and the car will not detonate due to the oil.

·
JR still sucks!
5,004 Posts
teamgn87:
Well I guess I am screwed.I took off the up pipe and the throttle body is full of oil.So is the inter-cooler.Great,now I have a 3500lb. paper weight.How much is this gonna cost to fix?It took me a long time to save the money for this P.O.S.I dont have a whole lot of money to fix this thing.Now the wife is giving me grief about this.Help?Anyone?
* I would not do the spring cleaning until the smoking problem is fixed.
* That's why I got rid of my wife. I would say it's cheaper to keep her, but I got off good. I was able to keep my toys (WE4 and Corvette), house and retirement fund.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey teamgn87 I have the same problem so if anyone helps you out let me know. Thanks

AS for you SalvageV6 that is pretty imature to tell someone who comes to this site for info or to learn to stop whining! Maybe if you want to run around with the problem thats your business. Problems do come up with used cars that don't show themselves right away. (EVEN IF YOU CHECK IT OVER BEFORE YOU BUY)! WE are all supposed to be adults here so a person looking for info is not whining they are being smart! Thats more than I can say about you. Hasen't your mom ever told you if you have nothing nice to say keep you mouth shut

HEY TEAMGN87 GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROBLEM THERE SEEMS TO BE OTHER KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE HERE.... MAybe they can help better

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Asking for info. on how to fix a POS is whining in my book.

I guess advice to ditch the wife would be more mature. :rolleyes:

It's not a fatal or terminal problem.

When maturity becomes a prerequisite for posting on any forum be sure to let me know too. wink

I gave him rather nice advice so maybe you should heed it as well.

I don't like to see TR's called paperweights or POS's. They aren't and it's immature whining.

Speaking from expertise on that one. :cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
K. Back to discussion. Could that oil into the intake problem be caused by a bad oil line on the turbo? Or improper action on the blades? How much would a rebuild cost compared to the fact that people are selling some stockers for 200-400? Who does good rebuilds in the NY area?

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:I have oil in the tb,oil in the up-pipe,oil in the discharge tube of the inter-cooler and I even have oil in the mass air pipe.But there is no oil in the turbo or the feed pipe for the inter-cooler.Is there no oil because of the airflow or is it another problem? ugh

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Sounds like the turbo is on its way out. Check it for play. You can probably pick up a stock used turbo for 150-200 bucks or just have that one rebuilt. Not that big a deal...

Don't forget.. THESE CARS ARE OLD!!! powersix

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just found out that the turbo is a ta-49.Does anyone know where I can get it rebuilt in the NY area?The center section alone is going for $590.As for any play,I cant move the shaft in or out but I can wiggle it side to side. dunno

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's turbopeople in westchester. Also Dynotech in NJ. I'm going there soon for my tranny and turbo. I don't know about turbopeople. I've heard stories of expensive charges. Dynotech is almost bulletproof from what I've read about their rep.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Don't let the oil get anywhere near the $$$ MAF sensor or it will kill it.

That's what killed mine before I became informed.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
teamgn87:
I just found out that the turbo is a ta-49.Does anyone know where I can get it rebuilt in the NY area?The center section alone is going for $590.As for any play,I cant move the shaft in or out but I can wiggle it side to side. dunno
If you dont have the money to have it rebuilt just buy a used stock turbo from someone online. If your using pumpgas and low boost you wont even notice a difference anyways.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
As far as I know Dynotech does not rebuild turbos.
They will send it out. The best out there is PTE and John Craig. If the fins did not hit the housing it should be a cheaper rebuild. I would not trust any of the locals in the NYC/NJ area.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On the dynotech thing, Ed, I asked for a ballpark quote on a couple of things including turbo rebuild. Talked to Jimmy there (Seemed like a really nice guy) he said they'd do it. That's the only reason I assumed they be the ones to rebuild. Don't know if they'd send it out, though.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called Dynotech and their prices were a little high.ESP in Pa.had better prices and so did KDK in Fla..Any way now I have a new ta-49 on the way.Should see it next week.Thanks for the help guys.Anyone want to buy a slightly used ta-49 with a small oil leak?Ill give ya a real good deal. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts