Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe you guys or gals can help me out. i have just bought me first gn. when it first starts up it spits out a little water mixed with a black powder.this goes away when it warms up. i drive it any amount of time, stop at red light and within 30 seconds it starts smoking like crazy( light grey, doesn't smile
like oil). doesn't smoke going down the road, only when i stop. car runs strong the whole time. any ideas. some specs when bought,, .030 forged pistons, shot peened rods, tubed mains, champion cast iron ported and polished full race heads,
206 cam, ATR stainless headers, 2.5 exhaust, TE64
turbo, ATR intercooler, ATR 7th injector and dual pump, ported intake with hemco plenium, ART CARR
200R4 with 9in. converter, upgrades are greek to me

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Make a level mark on your radiator overflow tank. See if you are loosing anti-freeze. The first start up is just normal condensation. Also it will smoke a little if it's cold outside. Does the smoke smell sweet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks ed, i will mark the overflow tomorrow. smoke has weak smell,not sure that it's sweet. inside of tailpipe has black powder build-up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
kind of sounds like boost has blown the valve seals off the guides and oil is running down the valve. this only realy showa up when engine is fully warmed up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
doesn't sound like water. Water would normally be white. Sounds like blowing some oil thru turbo. Possibly just really rich at idle?

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Sounds like someone did a good tuneup before you bought it.
All that lose carbon lining the tailpipes is coming out.
As Ed said,keep an eye on the coolant level.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Yup,Bill Anderson [just out side Baltimore-he's one of the best].
Call him at: 410-282-3931[www.anderson-performance.com]
Brian Weavy[www.GBODYPARTS.com]is two doors away if you need resto parts.
His number is 410-285-3740.
Your in good hands with those two.
I know them both personally and can highly recommend them. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks radius, just talked to bill jr. i'm going to take my car down to him this week and see if he can debug the thing. i'm looking for a center console
door if anybody has one. i just read my posting, next time i'll read what i'm thinking. i look too stupid to own a nice car.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
george k:
thanks radius, just talked to bill jr. i'm going to take my car down to him this week and see if he can debug the thing. i'm looking for a center console
door if anybody has one. i just read my posting, next time i'll read what i'm thinking. i look too stupid to own a nice car.
Smart man.
Walk two bays over when you get to Bills' and talk to Brian when you want parts.
Tell him I sent you. :)
Make Bill show you the race car. :D
Is that Sykes as in Sykesville?
You're not very far from Dundalk.
Glad I could help. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BILL SEEMS TO THINK THE SEAL IS OUT ON THE TURBO.
I CALLED ATR WHERE IT WAS PURCHASED FROM AND THEY HAVE AN IN HOUSE REPAIR SERVICE. THEY TOLD ME TO CHECK THE TURBINE WHEEL FOR PLAY. A LITTLE PLAY SIDE TO SIDE IS OK ANY PLAY IN OR OUT IS BAD. ALSO TOLD TO CHECK OIL LINE IN AND OIL DRAIN LINE FOR BLOCKAGE
SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM ON NEW BUILD-UPS.
DIDN'T SEEM TO KNOW WHY THE CAR WOULD SMOKE A IDLE
IN THE DRIVEWAY dunno

1 - 11 of 11 Posts