Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passed! Top of the World! poon

15mph...(CO2-14.8)...(O2-0.3)...(HC-68)...(CO-0.17)...(NO-134)

25mph...15.0...0.2...31...0.00...155 (in order per top categories)

This is with a TA49, Blue Tops, UR5's gapped at a tight 0.35, Stock Chip Profile, THDP and CAT, and ???...that's about it. Didn't change the oil (syn) for 3500 miles. The plugs had about 23-25 hundred miles on them.

TURBODAVE...What kind of numbers did you blow when you were in CA?

Please! Please! No jokes about .................. California!!!....Hah... nono rant moon usa

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! In the right hand corner of the Smog Check Vehicle Inspection Report it says...Inspection Reason: High Emitter Profile. (We're pretty much screwed). :(

I think anywhere around the LA Basin will be a "Test Only" station. Maybe out in Victorville or up the inner coast, the areas may not be as tightly (structured as Most of Southern Calif).

My last 5 checks have been "Test Only." uzi

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Well, let's see...
My 86 blew: 14.9--45--0.08--5 (15mph)
------------14.9--46--0.09--5 (25mph)
That's %CO2--HC--%CO--NO in that order
Setup in sig.

The 87 blew a little cleaner but I can't find the numbers right now.
It has a TA49 and blue tops
Found the 87: 15.0--29--0.01--7 :D
--------------14.9--26--0.04--2 :D

<small>[ April 26, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: TurboDave ]</small>

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Believe it or not I have not had to do a Test Only....yet. ugh

How tough were/are they on the visual? My car will barely pass the sniffer, but it does. I am missing the tube from the turbo to the PS valve cover (aren't we all) and of course the K&N.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TDave---WOW-WEE!!! Dat's some clean burning. headbang

It was only about 64 degrees out and I don't think the converter was hot enough. I guess I should have changed the oil. That could have helped. I was still way under the limits though.

RacerX--Very good if it's sniffer only. Check the smog place first. Pop the hood and ask them if they are familar with the car. Have a shop manual or something equivalent that pictures the car with a turbo. (That's what I did). Show only the turbo and not the filters, etc. Try and put things back (take off or cover K&N and oil breathers) to stock or stock looking. Get them to verbally (after checking out the underhood) state that all the car has to do is pass the sniffer. They may want to charge you for a PRE-TEST. Still would be better than a 'TEST ONLY.'

One place that I checked, told me to go to a referee eek! 'cause he wasn't familiar with the car and didn't think it was kosher. I told him, "Thanks!" moon and went on my way.

<small>[ April 26, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: CaPPY ]</small>

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
I have a smog guy that I use now who looks the other way during visual and the car passes the sniffer.

I have also been to a smog ref and that experience was MUCH better than I expected. I may have just gotten lucky and got a good referee, but he just asked me some questions ran the car through the sniffer (pre dyno days) and said that my car was borderline enough that under load it was probably breathing much cleaner. Cool guy.

Where did you go for your Test Only, just in case they make me do that this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to go through a Test Only as well on 04/16/03 as my tags were due last week. I went to a Test Only shop in Downey on my lunch hour and my readings were as follows:

15 MPH Test
-----------
CO2 14.3, HC 28 (max allowable 110), CO 0.00% (max allowable .71), NOx 85 (max allowable 772)

25 MPH Test
-----------
CO2 14.3, HC 31 (max allowable 85), CO .22 (max allowable .59), NOx 42 (max allowable 771)

Combo on the car is as follows: 72# inj, T66 turbo, V2 FM, THDP, fresh TH cat, "stock looking" breathers, R42TSs at .035", 160,781 miles on the original motor & heads at the time the test was taken per the cert, 2500 miles on the oil, regular 72# street chip/modified ECM, & 10 gallons of Chevron 91. The test was conducted as I watched through the lobby window and sweated. The visual was less than perfect, but then again I don't have any flashy chrome or polished parts under the hood either (motor looks "slow"). The only thing they had to do out of the ordinary was bang on the starter with a hammer when it got hot and wouldn't turn over (the new starter is going on the new motor. :p )

If anyone in the area needs the location of the shop I went to, give me an e-jingle.

Regards,
Morgan

<small>[ April 28, 2003, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Cogito Ergo Zoom ]</small>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts