Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running the new smc system. I have Reds 93 street chip and 100 street strip chip. Is there any harm in running either of these two chips. Im sure I could have one designed to work with an alcohol system, but would like to stick with Red if possible. What would be different in these chips for alky. Wonder if I could have him burn me a new one to work with my new alky setup. It only costs me $20.00 to send in a chip and have it reprogrammed. Very fair price. If Turbo tweak can beat that, you let me know.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
I've run Red's100octane chip with the old SMC alky kit on 93octane gas with no problems.

Having run both Red's and TurboTweak's chips I can tell you that the TT chip is a much better piece. I gave my Red's chips away after running the TT chip. And last I heard Red doesn't have a burn specifically for alky whereas TT does.

When you use alky you want to pull fuel out to compensate otherwise you car will lose potential performance from being to rich. Red's chips are already way rich so when you add alky to the mix you are cheating yourself out of your max performance. The TT chip for 93octane w/Alky will step up your timing and pull fuel to fully utilize the gain from having your alky system.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The Red's chips will work okay with alky.

A more modern chip will work better with, or without, alky.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
the differences lie in the fueling and the timing

the 93chip is fine but heres the differences

the 93 chip should have fuel for 17psi (without alky) which is a good fuel level for alky injection running 22-23psi
but timing in the 93 chip may be 19/17 or 20/18 , 20* 1st+ 2nd gear and 18* 3rd +4th . while this will be good enough for most and will work fine for the street, for the track it leaves some performance missing that could be had with alky by adding more 1st and 2nd gear timing and maybe even a little more third gear timing as mosy alky chips are burned 23/20 timing

the 100 chip will have more fuel for running around 22psi (without alky) which will be too much fuel unless you run upwards of 28 psi with alky.
the timing should be 24/22, better for alky alky at the track but might be too much in third for everyday so watch your knock .

the tt chip comes with fuel needed for your desired boost level and you can increase or decrease fueling in chip to further tweak the tune for your car. and 23/20 timing that is safer for the street and can be raised up 4 degrees to take better advantage of the alky , i jack the timing to 27/22 at the track with razors alky kit

once you try the TT chip you'll be saying "Red who?" :yup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I might go ahead and look into a turbo tweak chip. Seems like everyone running alcohol has nothing but good things to say about them. I thing Red makes his chips with the intent for them to be raced with. So they are a little rich to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Matt_86 said:
It only costs me $20.00 to send in a chip and have it reprogrammed. Very fair price. If Turbo tweak can beat that, you let me know.
Uhh.. how much did Red charge you for the first burn? :dunno:

He didnt charge 20.00 for the chip correct? :cheers:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
hmmmmmm ....so ya don't want to spend the $$$ for a great TT Alky chip that lots of guys are flying with to save a few bucks :dunno: guess ya can call Red and ask for a new "burn" and just give it a whirl and see what happeneds ??? maybe it will rock :headbang:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Razor said:
Uhh.. how much did Red charge you for the first burn? :dunno:

He didnt charge 20.00 for the chip correct? :cheers:
He charges 50.00 for a new chip burned. If you want a new one and you send in an old, he will send one out that day or next, and you just have to send the old in soon as you can. ( $20.00 for exchange )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts