Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, my throttle got stuck wide open because of missing screw on the trottle body butterfly,

THE engine over revolved to the tune of 6000plus(turbo tweek chip) rpm in neutral do to stuck wide open throttle,

THE car was shut off as soon as possible and towed in to shop.

Removing the trottle body revealed that one screw was missing from the butterfly,

THE doghouse was removed, could not find screw.

Engine was started and a strange sound was heard from number five cylinder,

# 5 plug was removed and the plug was discovered smashed, engine was started to remove debris of missing screw, IT may of come out the empty spark plug hole.

new plug was intalled, and engine was started and there was more misfire going on.

Compression checked great with 160 peak psi per cylinder on all.

NEW UR4 plugs were installed and engine runs fine.

Plugs that were in the engine (NGK ur5ix 7177 iridium projected longer into the cylinder that the copper ur4's just installed

?? HAS anyone ever heard of spark plug getting smashed with a OVER REV condition?
IT happened here on my LC2

CLOSE CALL to major engine damage but not yet !

REGARDS, BLACKHAWK 38 TURBO E-BODY

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
TURBO E-BODY said:
A few months ago, my throttle got stuck wide open because of missing screw on the trottle body butterfly,

?? HAS anyone ever heard of spark plug getting smashed with a OVER REV condition?

CLOSE CALL to major engine damage but not yet !
It was smashed by the bolt being on top of the piston, and being pushed against the electrode. The electrode just can't bend, without some help.

You probably just haven't looked far enough yet.

You can have a ticking bomb, ie items being fractured, and just waiting to fail. IMO, it'll be cheap insurance to pull the heads, and look for further damage. While it might be comfortable to be in denial about further damage, undetected damage will only generate more serious problems.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Best way to find whats up is:
Go to Track
Run 28 lbs boost
Add 150-200 shot of Juice
Disconnect Any Knock Sensors you have
Bet you find the weak link by about the 330 ft!!
Video all Carnage! :headbang:
PS: Bring a trailer to get the car home! :yup:
Upon arrival at home, do a teardown & find crispy nut welded to piston! :eek!:
Dont forget to take a pic for us!
Have Fun!! :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other spark plugs Ground electrodes were also smashed!!

Even side bank had a few bent electrodes also, that screw should have not gone in all of those cylinders, HOW could it?

IT IS FUN CHANGING ENGINES
I GOT spare A 109 (206 billet) roller cam engine in my dining room with ported heads, IT was build by merkel a couple years back, IT spun a rod bearing because he choose to use a USED front cover , HE took it back to new jersey fixed the rod bearing and changed the front cover. It has been setting in my house ever since he brought it back , IT is begging to be put to use !

MY stock engine in my 87 GN runs fine NOW, IF it blows something up later, IT is just more fun to have fixing it (the way I see it)

IF there was not any trouble with these cars , There would be no NEED for this message board,

Almost Every post you read is a complaint

Regards, BLACKHAWK 38 TURBO E-BODY

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
as usual doc is right! :) no way an electrode can bend without contact with something!a small screw will find its way to every cyl. ask me how i know! if you found the screw and its out, a comp. and leakdown test should reveal any damage, but its hard to belive no valves were warped! :6:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
TURBO E-BODY said:
Even side bank had a few bent electrodes also, that screw should have not gone in all of those cylinders, HOW could it?
If you say so... :)

Seriously thou, until it gets spit out, or lodges in something, it can bounce around through out the engine. It can lodge in a msec., or spend a minute bouncing around. Sometimes, their quiet, sometimes it sounds like a clothes dryer full of BB's. The first absolute rule about engine carnage is that there's no absolutes.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It's amazing how things find a way to get into a cylinder. I had a stud work loose from the top of a carb; it was the stud that held the air cleaner. It went through the carb, through the intake, and into one of the cylinders- then through the cylinder wall. That was on a Chevy factory crate engine. Expensive lesson. The thing was about three inches long, it just didn't look like it could possibly have made that trip- but it did!

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Just my $.02...

"?? HAS anyone ever heard of spark plug getting smashed with a OVER REV condition?
IT happened here on my LC2"

1. The over rev didn't cause the problem. . The rods would have to have stretched WAAAY further than their material would have allowed. [Cast rods, if stockers]. Valves into pistons on an over rev.. Yes, plugs no.
2. If the screw did, in fact, " make the trip" to both sides of the engine, then that suggestion is correct. However, use of a plug with a projected electrode, would be a more likely cause. [And the reason you see plug damage on both banks]... :3gears:

But, like I said... Just my $.02

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Another reason to not use the Iridium plugs. Sounds like they stick out of the chamber too far. Are you using steel shim head gaskets too?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Whats wrong with stock plugs? Why the fancy dancy plugs? :dunno:

Whats also great is that screw when it flies through the turbo and clips the exhuast wheel :headbang: Can you say new turbo :poon:

BTW, how did the screw come off the blade? Let me guess.. it was a fancy dancy throttle body :yup:

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
Razor said:
BTW, how did the screw come off the blade? Let me guess.. it was a fancy dancy throttle body :yup:
And just what's wrong with having a fancy dancy throttle body? :dunno:

I've had my fancy dancy Kenne Bell throttle body for 8 years and haven't lost any screws. :headbang: :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Throttle body was 61MM done by me

YES< THIS was my fault, I choose to assemble the throttle body MYSELF after I had the machine work done, I did not use any thread locker on the butterfly screws. THE screw was a 4mm stainless steel flat head about 6mm long, I counter sunk the screw holes on the butterfly axle and then cut out the middle 1/2 round shaft between the screws on the front side.

Headgaskets are stock thickness on this motor

THE plugs (UR5ix iridium) were also my choice, Never a problem before,

SO far , the engine runs great, Will use DENSO iridiums in it a couple a weeks from now. will check the protrusion first up against a Delco R44ts stock plug;

Regards, Blackhawk38 Turbo E-body

·
lag,what is that?
2,715 Posts
TURBO E-BODY said:
THE plugs (UR5ix iridium) were also my choice, Never a problem before,

SO far , the engine runs great, Will use DENSO iridiums in it a couple a weeks from now. will check the protrusion first up against a Delco R44ts stock plug;

I have the GN1 heads and they use different plugs then stock,they are the TR6IX iridium and they are the same protrusion as the Autolite 103 plugs.
:dunno:
The UR5IX iridium plugs should be the same protrusion as the Delco R44ts.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Is that so??...

STOMPN 6 said:
And just what's wrong with having a fancy dancy throttle body? :dunno:

I've had my fancy dancy Kenne Bell throttle body for 8 years and haven't lost any screws. :headbang: :D
Zap says you have at least 1 loose!! :yup: :feedback:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Razor said:
it was a **fancy dancy** throttle body

????
Some new TR Speed Shop in FL.?.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts