Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I raced (on the street) my friend's 84' Camaro with my 87' GN and I totally blew the doors off him. But he told me once I got ahead of him...he saw spurts of white smoke coming out of my exhaust pipes! I was like huh? I was wondering, is that carbon build up from the engine and is this a good thing? Or do I need to take my car into the shop! I heard if you see white smoke...your heads or something have carbon buildup. Please help me with this dillema

------------------
1987 Buick Grand National; Stock except for the following: Poston chromed mass-air flow pipe, 9" K&N air filter, 3" ATR stainless downpipe w/racing CAT, 3" ATR stainless exhaust system, Poston UltraChip - Note to all Ford/Chevy owners: BUICK OWNZ JOO;)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
White smoke = coolant' gas' carbon or crap in exhaust"Blue smoke = oil"I would not be real quick to take it to the shop"Mine has done this on occation to when i was running more boost than i should have or to much fuel pressure.Just keep a eye on things'coolant temp' coolant level etc"Check your tune.

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah man, that's what I thought it might be! I have new exhaust but haven't put it on yet. I still have my old Hooker system and the ORIGINAL cat and that thing has seem its days. I think it may be clogged and the exhaust may have to go asap. Kinda scared me at first but I keep real good care of my engine and I couldn't figure out why anything would be wrong with it. Thanks again.

------------------
1987 Buick Grand National; Stock except for the following: Poston chromed mass-air flow pipe, 9" K&N air filter, 3" ATR stainless downpipe w/racing CAT, 3" ATR stainless exhaust system, Poston UltraChip - Note to all Ford/Chevy owners: BUICK OWNZ JOO;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by d0n_3d:
Yeah man, that's what I thought it might be! I have new exhaust but haven't put it on yet.. .... Kinda scared me at first but I keep real good care of my engine and I couldn't figure out why anything would be wrong with it. Thanks again.

Well, technically racing it full out isn't good for the engine with original gaskets and *GASP* 8 head bolts....I've never heard of engine problems from "old lady driving"

You better keep an eye on the condition of your coolant (make sure it stays green and not milky brown) and oil level/colour....You MAY, at worst, have a slightly leaky head gasket or a tiny crack in the head.

A compression/leakdown test will find the culprit if the "white" smoke gradually worsens...if not, count yourself lucky and be careful out there.

When it was said that it was "white" how white was it? Billowy cloud white...thats definate coolant.

------------------

1987 GN: 104,500 miles, 160°T-stat, homemade dual exhaust with Dynomax Super Turbos, Adj.WG, Walbro 340, Adj.FPR, chrome MAF pipe w/12"K&N cone, engine tie-down, SCANMASTER II, 30psi VDO Boost gauge, 235/60/15 DUNLOP GT QUALIFIERS all around, custom chip. Set at a confident 15lbs of boost 14.4 ET @ 91.7mph is STILL MY BEST---- :( WTF?
...BEFORE the above mods were done!

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it wasn't alot of white smoke coming out. It was very little and not very white at all. I haven't changed my coolant in a LONG time but it's still a greenish color. But it really smells nasty=\ You think I should just flush the coolant out and put new coolant in? I know I don't have any cracks on my heads or anything like that. Not to mention no noticeable leaky gaskets and such. The engine runs/looks fine when running. I'm thinkin it's definitely the coolant and my exhaust needs to be changed to my new system soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts