Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me out. Normally you should need to push in the button to move the gear selector. When I bought my 87 GN, the button doesn't work. The shifter can be moved anywhere without the button (as long as the ignition key is turned from the lock position).

I removed the consol trim, and knob. The plastic piece inside the chrome stem is down inside (not up in the knob). On the bottom end of the plastic stem, is a curved "hook" with a hole in the end....I assume for a spring I don't have?

But, I lifted up the stem, and held it into position, and it still shifts when I think it shouldn't.

Anyone have a good posting of a drawing with part numbers or something for this shifter assembly? Or Pics or plain old good advice.

As we all know, we should let our cars sit and idle after some sprited driving. I would hate to see this car shift into gear.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
I have the billet shift knob and in the directions it tells you to screw down or unscrew up the white plastic piece in the center to set the "lock" for the shifter.
You might want to try unscrewing the center white piece to see if the that helps.
Other than that,the lock may be broken. :dunno:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a search, and found some good info.

The missing spring is the problem. Need to get one and orient the end of the J-hook to line up with the detents on the shifter bracket.

My only problem is the old spring is no where to be found. And the GM part number I found in my search is "no longer valid" according to the dealer.

GM PN: 559983

So anyone have an idea of the overall length of this spring from hook to hook?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
why don't you check with Grumpy or G Body parts and pick one up? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts