Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with shift kits for the 200R4? I'm not happy with the firmness of my shifts. The receipt for my transmission says "built to customer specs, billet servo supplied". The trans was done at Transware in Toronto. WOuld adding the CK Performance shift kit to the tranny be a bad idea?

·
Gone and almost forgotten
1,042 Posts
Paul B said:
Anybody have any experience with shift kits for the 200R4? I'm not happy with the firmness of my shifts. The receipt for my transmission says "built to customer specs, billet servo supplied". The trans was done at Transware in Toronto. WOuld adding the CK Performance shift kit to the tranny be a bad idea?

Paul,

Are you looking for firmer shifts or are they too firm now ??

Transware calibrates their own trannies.

The CK Shift kit is what I have in my car. At part-throttle it shifts like a stock car (not the firm bang from earlier kits like the TransGo) but a full throttle it shifts firmly but not a tire squaking shift (maybe it's cuz my hunk of junk doesn't make enough power :dunno: )

Personally, adding the CK Shift kit is a good idea (especially since I have them in stock) but it may or may not change anything.....alot of trouble just for an experiment...

:headbang: :6: :headbang:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Real-T said:
Paul,

Are you looking for firmer shifts or are they too firm now ??

Transware calibrates their own trannies.

The CK Shift kit is what I have in my car. At part-throttle it shifts like a stock car (not the firm bang from earlier kits) but a full throttle it shifts firmly but not a tire squaking shift (maybe it's cuz my hunk of junk doesn't make enough power :dunno: )

Personally, adding the CK Shift kit is a good idea (especially since I have them in stock) but it may or may not change anything.....alot of trouble just for an experiment...

:headbang: :6: :headbang:
I'm looking for firmer shifts and for the transmission to not hang in first gear. I've set the TV cable about a 100 times with no luck. It shifts pretty crisp but I think it could be better.

·
1,042 Posts
Paul B said:
I'm looking for firmer shifts and for the transmission to not hang in first gear. I've set the TV cable about a 100 times with no luck. It shifts pretty crisp but I think it could be better.
The hanging in first gear may be a governor thing. Have you changed the fluid in the trans yet ??

If you are due, then maybe while you are in there check that the governor spring is still in place and look at the weights to see if they have been modified.

Taking a gram or 2 off the governor weight will move the shift point up, but takes some trial and error and of course going too far results in a higher shift.

Here is some info:

http://gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/governor.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mike, I pulled the pan to do fluid/filter. Does the material (minus the dirt) in the pan look normal to you? The transmission has roughly 16,000 kms on it. The fluid seems pretty fresh i.e. isn't dark and doesn't stink.

And what are your thoughts on using Type "F" fluid? It seems to be the preferred fluid to use as far as GNTTYPE.org is concerned and what I found during a search of the 2 sites. What does Chris suggest using?

Attachments

·
1,042 Posts
Paul B said:
Mike, I pulled the pan to do fluid/filter. Does the material (minus the dirt) in the pan look normal to you? The transmission has roughly 16,000 kms on it. The fluid seems pretty fresh i.e. isn't dark and doesn't stink.

And what are your thoughts on using Type "F" fluid? It seems to be the preferred fluid to use as far as GNTTYPE.org is concerned and what I found during a search of the 2 sites. What does Chris suggest using?

Paul,

The trans pan looks OK to me. The dust you see in there is clutch material that is normal as those wear. As long as there are not big metal flakes, or maybe particles in the fluid you should be OK.

I think the Type F thing is still out for debate. It is a thicker fluid (I think) and has a higher operating temp.

Some have even gone so far as to use Hydraulic tractor fluid with no issues.

:dunno:

The great thing is is that a minimum of Dexron 3 is required for most street/strip cars.

Also forgot to ask, the pattern in the pan looks like it is hte shape of the filter.

Did you pull the pan and the filter came with it, or was the filter fully seated when you pulled the pan off ?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Real-T said:
Paul,

The trans pan looks OK to me. The dust you see in there is clutch material that is normal as those wear. As long as there are not big metal flakes, or maybe particles in the fluid you should be OK.

I think the Type F thing is still out for debate. It is a thicker fluid (I think) and has a higher operating temp.

Some have even gone so far as to use Hydraulic tractor fluid with no issues.

The great thing is is that a minimum of Dexron 3 is required for most street/strip cars.

Also forgot to ask, the pattern in the pan looks like it is hte shape of the filter.

Did you pull the pan and the filter came with it, or was the filter fully seated when you pulled the pan off ?
I had to yank the filter out of its seated position, it wasn't laying in the pan. I didn't find any flakes in the pan but the magnet was covered in particles.

What does Chris suggest for use in his transmissions? The type "F" meets the Dexron 3 specs, no?

·
1,042 Posts
Paul B said:
I had to yank the filter out of its seated position, it wasn't laying in the pan. I didn't find any flakes in the pan but the magnet was covered in particles.

What does Chris suggest for use in his transmissions? The type "F" meets the Dexron 3 specs, no?
Then why not use Dexron 3 ??

Type F was made for early Ford Automatics like pre-198something. I don't think Ford recommends the fluid anymore for use.

That idea has been around for a while, can't really say if it works or not as it would seem hard to tell if a car shifter "firmer" than before or could all just be perceived.

For the transmissions that I have sold, we recommend just Dexron 3, I use it in my car all the time, usually cuz it is more often on sale than Type F, I am not cheap, just poor......

If you are stuck on using Type F, I don't see any downsides. As long as it lives under about 300psi, and is temperature rated for about 200+ Deg F then it should be fine.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real-T said:
Then why not use Dexron 3 ??

Type F was made for early Ford Automatics like pre-198something. I don't think Ford recommends the fluid anymore for use.

That idea has been around for a while, can't really say if it works or not as it would seem hard to tell if a car shifter "firmer" than before or could all just be perceived.

For the transmissions that I have sold, we recommend just Dexron 3, I use it in my car all the time, usually cuz it is more often on sale than Type F, I am not cheap, just poor......

If you are stuck on using Type F, I don't see any downsides. As long as it lives under about 300psi, and is temperature rated for about 200+ Deg F then it should be fine.
I'm not stuck on using type "F", it just seems to be what the big heads on the 2 boards suggest for use if transmission preservation is the goal.

And I'm not cheap either......well, ok, yes I am :D

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"imo ford type f and thats the end of the discussion as far as im concerned."

"type f has friction modifiers which shorten the amount of slip time between the drive and driven members of the clutch pack during application resulting in quicker and firmer gear changes with less heat generated from start to finish.and yes i am nuts.tractor fluid ?toilet paper is to wipe your ass and napkins are to wipe your mouth.get the point?"

Those are both qoutes from Chris @ CK. He sounds like my kinda guy lol :cheers:

·
1,042 Posts
I think I recall that thread....pretty good debate too.....

Still not really sure about the TP to Napkins comment though.....or at least as it applies to the statement....but then again subtlety is often lost on me.....

EDIT: now that I re-read and thought about the statement, I think I get it...... :eek:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stupid question........How far up should the filter go? With the new seal in place, I'm able to push the filter up into the tube until it's almost touching the VB. Is that normal?

·
Registered
445 Posts
sounds about rite, there should be a clip on one of the valve body bolts that helps holds the filter in place.

We may try to hit the Kemptville C nite on wed...... :6:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JC 87 GN said:
sounds about rite, there should be a clip on one of the valve body bolts that helps holds the filter in place.

We may try to hit the Kemptville C nite on wed...... :6:
Ok, thanks John. Please let me know if you guys are heading up this way. I'm gonna warn you though.......be prepared to hear some seriously stupid ****. Well, on top of the stupid **** I say lol :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts