Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with three things. Take your pick or comment on all three. :D

1. Since I clocked my turbo from 3 oclock to 4 oclock, the little braided oil feed hose from the block to the turbo is leaking at the top of the turbo. Because the turbo is pitched forward, the tube doesn't fit right anymore. Can I buy like a 1inch coupler or make my own tube? Please be specific. I am dumb.

2. Driving on the highway today, I noticed a cloud of white smoke everytime I would nail it and then take my foot of the gas. At first I thought I broke something, but after getting under the car, the oil leak is much worse than I thought. I think I was spraying oil on the crossover. It really reared it's ugly head when I went into boost. I still think it's the oil pan. I have put on the second cork gasket and still all wet. I have a new oil pan coming. Do I need to buy another gasket, or can I reuse the cork one. It's wet as hell, but it was not overtightened.

3. Re-plumbed the alky today to the fmic uppipe. Still getting knock. I haven't really nailed the gas, because I'm afraid I'll break something. But at cruise, I have gone to about 18# of boost and sometimes see about 2.5 of knock. The alky dial (Razor's) is set at about 11 oclock.

Sorry to be so verbose, but I really appreciate all of the advice and comments.

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
are you sure those heads and intake are sealed..think your white smoke and oil problem are related..as far as turbo feed..make your own out of braided line that way it can go where you want it

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Pull a turbo to IC hose and look for oil as well as the DP..I know you said white..but it looks white in the mirror

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gbsean said:
are you sure those heads and intake are sealed..think your white smoke and oil problem are related..as far as turbo feed..make your own out of braided line that way it can go where you want it
The oil is only at the bottom of the engine. I have felt all around the intake and valve covers, and there is not oil . When I was installing the motor, it got cocked over to one side. Don't know how it happened, but the bolts holes on the starter where both cracked. I'm thinking that whatever trauma I caused to the starter, my have damaged the pan. :dunno:

When I got under the car, there was a lot of oil all over everything, including the exhaust.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know what size those fittings are on each end of the turbo oil feed?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
If I were to read Sean's post with my admittedly warped perspective, I would think he was asking if you really think it is oil from the leak you are seeing in the mirror...or from the engine due a sealing problem at the heads or intake.

Pretty darn hard to run only 18# of boost with alky, unless the alky is turned way down. I have no idea what 11 oclock means, unfortunately...My controller is marked in psi so it is easy to figure out :dunno:

·
15,681 Posts
when I replaced my intake..I thought the rear gasket was in place..it was not...and because it was at the rear it leaked like a S.O.B. if the smoke is white and not blue..chances are it is coolant...BUT at night blue smoke can look white..check coolant and oil levels...could be the oil pouring out under pressure onto crossover..keep the faith

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve Wood said:
If I were to read Sean's post with my admittedly warped perspective, I would think he was asking if you really think it is oil from the leak you are seeing in the mirror...or from the engine due a sealing problem at the heads or intake.

Pretty darn hard to run only 18# of boost with alky, unless the alky is turned way down. I have no idea what 11 oclock means, unfortunately...My controller is marked in psi so it is easy to figure out :dunno:
How do I know if the heads are sealed? There's no oil at the top. If it's internal, how do I know?
11 oclock is the setting Razor's suggests starting with. It's roughly 1/3 of the dial. I don't follow your comment regarding it being hard to run 18 pounds of boost.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gbsean said:
when I replaced my intake..I thought the rear gasket was in place..it was not...and because it was at the rear it leaked like a S.O.B. if the smoke is white and not blue..chances are it is coolant...BUT at night blue smoke can look white..check coolant and oil levels...could be the oil pouring out under pressure onto crossover..keep the faith

It was towards evening. I'm not sure what color the smoke was. When I put my hand around the intake front, back sides, there is no oil.

·
15,681 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
How do I know if the heads are sealed? There's no oil at the top. If it's internal, how do I know?
11 oclock is the setting Razor's suggests starting with. It's roughly 1/3 of the dial. I don't follow your comment regarding it being hard to run 18 pounds of boost.
read my post...we posted almost at same time...sometimes at idle or under normal driving..your head gasket can remain sealed...the fire ring is not torn but warped...and under boost head lifts a fraction allowing coolant into cylinder...white smoke...you said in previous posts that your bolts were not bottoming out...are you sure...of course I have been spraying paint and had a few :cheers: but it all semms inter-related

·
15,681 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
It was towards evening. I'm not sure what color the smoke was. When I put my hand around the intake front, back sides, there is no oil.
you respond faster than I can type

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Normally, we run much more boost than 18#...did Razor tell you to set the boost at 18# with the settings he gave you?

If that was his level, then the settings should be fine...if he intended you to run more, then it will be getting way too much alky

if the smoke comes out the tailpipes, the problem is internal

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve Wood said:
Normally, we run much more boost than 18#...did Razor tell you to set the boost at 18# with the settings he gave you?

If that was his level, then the settings should be fine...if he intended you to run more, then it will be getting way too much alky

if the smoke comes out the tailpipes, the problem is internal
I don't know if the smoke was coming out of the tailpipes. I'm just going to be very optimistic and assume it was sprayed oil burning on the crossover. It only happened when I nailed it and then let off the gas. :dunno: I'm thinking when I nailed it, it sprayed oil and then it burned. I hope the problem is just the oil pan. It looks okay, but the gasket is soaked and then there was the starter damage. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
to check to see if the heads are sealed get a combustion leak tester- also called a block tester.

·
15,681 Posts
if it only happened under boost with high oil pressure,,it would not IMO come out of the pan but from another source..ie intake...again check all fluid levels oil and coolant...DO IT NOW...just kidding had another Fosters

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
might have been low boost and a lot of alky, too.

Did you check the pan rail with a straight edge? It can blow a lot of oil out under boost if there is a gap. :)

Go eat an icecream and play with it tomorrow :cheers:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve Wood said:
might have been low boost and a lot of alky, too.

Did you check the pan rail with a straight edge? It can blow a lot of oil out under boost if there is a gap. :)

Go eat an icecream and play with it tomorrow :cheers:
Toasted Almond.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just went out and looked again now that the engine has cooled down. Man, there is a lot of oil under there. Big clean up job. As I said, the top half of the engine is dry; the bottom half is drenched. Do you think I can re-use the gasket?

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Toasted Almond.
OK NOW that is all I'm going to think about...

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll send these with the turbo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts