Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys please check out my other thread in the v6 tech section for more info. I just picked up my 87 GN on July 2nd and the 2nd day I started it up it's having some weird issues. I'm located in southern Chester county in PA. Nearby to Thorndale, Downingtown, Coatesville. Just wondering if anybody is local to me and might help me out in figuring out what's going on with my car. I'm not new to cars just the GN platform.

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
I read through your thread, taking the 2 long bolts out to remove the downpipe and looking up in the elbow will not be enough. You will have to remove the elbow from the turbo, take the 4 bolts out and remove the wastegate arm. Now you should be looking directly at the exhaust wheel, you will need to take a mini mag or equivalent flash light and shine it through the wheel if its has oil inside you will see the oil behind the wheel in the exhaust housing of the turbo. I am 99% sure by reading your thread that it is pushing oil past the exhaust seals of the turbo I have been down this road before. Sometimes the turbo is still good and you can just replace the seal and sometimes there is massive play in the shaft and its junk in need of a full rebuild. Replacement upgrades are also available however bigger turbos also lead to a fuel pump, chip, injectors, converter, etc... depending on your choices and goals with the car.

If you would like to bring the car down we would be happy to look at it we are close located in Secane Delaware county. Jim Dunn (610) 721-4695 Home | Buick Turbo Performance

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
First pic remove the elbow

2nd pic look past/through the exhaust wheel for oil, if its pushing oil it should be wet looking inside the housing

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. How does the waste gate arm disconnect?
Also Mr Jim Dunn I have heard nothing but positive things about you and your shop and if I bring the car to anyone it would be you. What kind of $$ we talking for u to check it out? Funds are really tight these days. Is it ok to drive the car with it fogging traffic everytime I let off the gas? If turbo seals are bad I'm thinking a slight upgrade but like I said funds are tight. If it would work out when could u check it out? I work every Saturday and today is my last day of vacation

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Take the car to Jim. You will save yourself time and money in the long run. He knows theses cars and is a straight up honest guy.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
:rolleyes:at least your posting in this section instead of out there. If you inspect your turbo and see the oil you can still drive your car down here. Take it to Jim he does great work. As far as the waste gate arm just pull the clip off the turbo elbow and pull it off. you don't need to unbolt it. Oh and thats Eddie your talking to not Jim. If you want to talk to Jim just call his cell# that listed.

Stefan

·
Buick Turbo Performance
2,058 Posts
This is actually Ed I work for Jim, give him a call (610) 721-4695 to see if he is available today or the weekend. If it is indeed the turbo seal driving it should be ok providing you check the oil and your not low, etc... use common sense in this type of situation and you should be fine.

To remove the wastegate arm just pop the clip off and pull the arm down to remove it from the shaft. Then take the 4 bolts out of the exhaust housing. Warning - these bolts tend to break, some penetrating oil will help as well as having the turbo hot when backing out the bolts. Slow and steady if they feel like they want to break turn them out some and back in to work them loose and break up the rust slowly.

Congrats on the purchase by the way :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Missed the one part in your reply Jim about bigger turbos leading to the other supporting mods. Is there a turbo that's a slight upgrade that will work without changing anything else for now? Just got the car so not sure about my goals really. Looking for reliability #1 but something that's fun to drive and maybe take to track a few times. Take the car to car shows as well. $$$ is an issue right now like I said for obvious reasons plus a wife and 4 yr old daughter lol. I'm not afraid to do the work if I know I'm changing/fixing the right parts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Welcome to the club! :headbang: Don't forget to hit our signup sheet:

Become a MAGNA Member - Join Now!

Jim Dunn is a stand-up guy and will definitely steer you right. As far as Turbo upgrades a TA-49 is a great "next step up" that will let you ease into the upgrades, but overall the best guide to making sure these things stay reliable is to go to Turbo Regal Web Site and look up "spring cleaning". Basically make sure all the usual stuff is up to snuff and most importantly that the fuel system has been checked or updated. Other than that Jim can give it a once over for you. I had him look at mine originally and he ironed out all the wrinkles wit it and at a reasonable cost. :cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Even though Im having some issues fresh from picking the car up I still LOVE it!! I'll fill that out and read up on that other page too. Wish $$ was no object as I'd just drop the car off at Jim's shop and be done with it lol.

Another question I have is when removing those 4 bolts from elbow do I need to remove the 2 bolts with springs I had off before or can they stay on?

Again thanks for the welcome here and hoping to get a chance to meet some of you locals and learn/absorb as much as I can about these cars!

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
You *might* be able to leave them on and just flex the downpipe out enough to see the wheel, but honestly you'd be surprised that they will actually come off (in most cases). What I did was hose them down with some WD where the threads are, then start up and let the car idle for 10-15 minutes or so to heat up the whole assembly. The only downside is you need to have some channel locks and/or GOOD leather gloves handy since you're dealing with red hot parts.

I think you can get new spring bolts in the Pep Boys "help" section - there's two sizes there so you have to take the old one with you to match it up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got the spring bolts on downpipe loose yesterday thanks to PB Blaster. I went out to the garage today and hosed down the turbo elbow bolts with the PB blaster i'll let that sit for a day or so spraying a few more times throughout today and see if i can break them loose.

Do you guys know what Jim would charge to do a once over on my car? I would DEF like im to go over it but most likely will have to save up the money. Work has been slow and family/bills come first especially if you ask my wife who doesnt much care for cars LOL

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
talked to Mr Jim Dunn on the phone today. All i can say is WOW what a great guy and i havent even met him yet LOL. I say YET because as soon as we can make it work me and my GN will be making a trip to BTP and Jim is gonna give my car a once over and let me know what i REALLY have and we'll go from there!

THANKS to all who recommended Jim he's everything ya'll said. Can't wait to meet him and get my car back on the right path again!

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. And not having funds in the Buick world will be tough since you will be either spending the cash a) on go fast mods or b) repairs!

Good luck.n Jim and Ed are great guys who know their stuff!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After talking to Jim I'm planning on starting a Buick fund lol mainly for mods which will prob lead to repairs lol.
Hoping I can get the car down to Jim next week to see where i stand

·
Flyn Greek
2,133 Posts
Welcome Jim and Ed will fix you up both good guys hope to see you and the car at one of the meets congrats on your purchase atleast your ran when you baught it

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THANKS for the warm welcome guys! Im DEF looking forward to getting out to a MAGNA meet sometime and meeting some members from the area and also checking out other turbo Buicks and learning more about them!!

As far as the purchase i actually traded a 55 Chevy 210 4 door for my GN

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
THANKS for the warm welcome guys! Im DEF looking forward to getting out to a MAGNA meet sometime and meeting some members from the area and also checking out other turbo Buicks and learning more about them!!

As far as the purchase i actually traded a 55 Chevy 210 4 door for my GN
good trade :cheers:

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Welcome to the club LJLawrence, congratulations on the Turbo Buick ride. :cheers:

Chuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts