Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's forget the pucks and wastegates for a bit. :D

What you got for the automatic 3rd gear lockup delay switch?

For sale? Circuit for free?

I can build it.

Hook me up I don't want to have to think this week. :)

TIA powersix :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
My buddy (a NASA EE) and I built the box. What we have is a single box that we used for testing in my car and it has worked so well I have not removed it. The box is 5x3x1 with a knob, 2 indicator LEDs and an on/off switch in the front. If there is demand we can reproduce it, as a result, I doubt he will give the circuit for free. We have talked about repackaging with a smaller box that can be hidden away and all the controls and indicators would be on a small panel. We also talked about adding a 2nd timer for another output but we have not talked price. We are not in the parts business, but if there was demand we could reproduce it for a reasonable price, I am sure.

The wiring has a +12V and ground, wires to taps into the 3rd gear and LU signals and another to put the LU signal to ground. The harness is built in such a way that if you suspected a problem with the unit, you could disconnect the ECM from the box and insert a bypass plug that would put the ECM circuit back to normal. An adjustable timer (1-3 secs) is triggered by the 3rd gear signal to LU the converter. A green LED indicates the unit is powered on and a red indicates LU.

At the track I switch it on at the light and switch it off sometime before making the turnoff. Of course, a simple manual switch can also do it and so do many chips but you need it for a M/E and I would not run any other chip!!. It takes away one big distraction of watching the tach or speedo to lockup manually and gaurantees accuracy and consistent LUs.

I also thought about TRs running standalones that want a LU. If we could get a speed signal, we could build a dual-mode box that locks up on the street based on 3rd or 4th gear signal AND MPH, and at the track, work as described above. For now it is just a little goodie I use but if others are interested, let me hear what you would like.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the ME and I always forget to throw the switch. wink

I would keep it simple for your avg. ME user. :)

Prolly make one myself someday with good old CMOS logic and a timer circuit and relay. :D

Unless production is in the near future.

Thanks for the info. yup powersix :cool: headbang

1 - 3 of 3 Posts