Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car idles like absolute crap, will pop thru the intake, and smells very rich. However responds ok under boost after the car takes off from idle. When lifting off the throttle after a little boost and the rpms creep back down, you can feel the surge, or hesitation at a cruise. Give it some pedal, and boost and it clears up, very laggy though. However, in my driveway if I Put the car in drive, and with my foot on the brake while applying throttle the car has nothing, feels like it wants to just die, takes a while to even start building boost. I recently replaced the plugs (R44TS), wires, coil, module, air filter, fuel filter, fuel feed and return lines, changed the oil, and flushed the radiator. I am the third owner of this car, the second owner let it sit for a long time, and never did much maintenance, this car is mostly all original, and in stock formation. 52K original miles on this car. There has been a boost gauge installed by the previous owner. Plugs were gapped properly, checked all my grounds.

I bought a Scanmaster so I could see what was going on and heres what I jotted down after the car warmed up and was at Idle. After a spin around the block.

Idle o2 as low as 015 - 691 it was all over the place, very erratic

Af - 6
L8 - 41
bAt - 13.2
Int - 135
bL - 137
MPH- - 0
CLt - 197
AtS - 131
r - 750
tPS - .48
IAC - 61
cc - Numbers increased in increments of 4 or 5 smoothly up to 254 then would reset to 0 and count again.

It logged one reading of o2 MV at WOT and that was 839. KR was 2.3

This car has no performance mods done what so ever, it is as stock as stock can get. I believe the injectors are factory, and I do believe the drivers side header is cracked. I checked all the vacuum lines an replace as needed.

Every time i replace or clean a part the car runs worse i swear. LOL it ran better with bad gas, clogged air filter, and tore up plugs. LOL. Any input would be appreciated. As, before i keep throwing parts and money at this car, cutting right to the problem if its noticed would be awesome!

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Here is a link to save scanmasterinstructions

Idle o2 as low as 015 - 691 it was all over the place, very erratic – at idle should be 700-850, possible O2 sensor needs replaced or engine a/f ratio is truly all over the board… in that case look at - fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, everything in the fuel delivery department should be checked.

Af – 6 – ok at idle, should go up to 255 at WOT (mass air flow sensor measuring air flow)
L8 – 41 – forget about it, can’t chage it anyway.
bAt - 13.2 – ok, would like to see this a tad higher but, still over 13 in a 12 volt system.
Int – 135 – short term fuel trim, at 128 it’s not adding of taking fuel out @ 135 it’s adding fuel, but still in the 118 -138 range. Not as important as bL parameter.
bL – 137 – again not out of “range” but your computer has been adding fuel for some time as this is the computer’s memory.
MPH- - 0
CLt – 197 – right on the money for the stock 195 degree thermostat, swap that out to a 160 when you get a chance to help keep the motor cooler, which allows you to turn the turbo up, but not until you figure out your problems.
AtS – 131 – air temp of air going in to motor, close to air filter
r – 750 – good idle rpm
tPS - .48 – a tad high for idle should be in the .42 / .46 range
IAC – 61 – out of wack, should be 10 / 20 range, tps will affect this value
cc - Numbers increased in increments of 4 or 5 smoothly up to 254 then would reset to 0 and count again. – “you would typically see this number climb around 10-20 numbers per frame (each time the Scanmaster refreshes). If the number is climbing slowly, then you may need a new O2 sensor.”

It logged one reading of o2 MV at WOT and that was 839. KR was 2.3 – I would avoid any amount of boost until it runs great up to the point of boosting.
Good luck with it, I would start with a new O2 sensor, be sure to put some high temp anti-sieze on the threads before putting the new one in.

Chuck

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Here is a link to save scanmasterinstructions

Idle o2 as low as 015 - 691 it was all over the place, very erratic – at idle should be 700-850, possible O2 sensor needs replaced or engine a/f ratio is truly all over the board… in that case look at - fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, everything in the fuel delivery department should be checked.

Af – 6 – ok at idle, should go up to 255 at WOT (mass air flow sensor measuring air flow)
L8 – 41 – forget about it, can’t chage it anyway.
bAt - 13.2 – ok, would like to see this a tad higher but, still over 13 in a 12 volt system.
Int – 135 – short term fuel trim, at 128 it’s not adding of taking fuel out @ 135 it’s adding fuel, but still in the 118 -138 range. Not as important as bL parameter.
bL – 137 – again not out of “range” but your computer has been adding fuel for some time as this is the computer’s memory.
MPH- - 0
CLt – 197 – right on the money for the stock 195 degree thermostat, swap that out to a 160 when you get a chance to help keep the motor cooler, which allows you to turn the turbo up, but not until you figure out your problems.
AtS – 131 – air temp of air going in to motor, close to air filter
r – 750 – good idle rpm
tPS - .48 – a tad high for idle should be in the .42 / .46 range
IAC – 61 – out of wack, should be 10 / 20 range, tps will affect this value
cc - Numbers increased in increments of 4 or 5 smoothly up to 254 then would reset to 0 and count again. – “you would typically see this number climb around 10-20 numbers per frame (each time the Scanmaster refreshes). If the number is climbing slowly, then you may need a new O2 sensor.”

It logged one reading of o2 MV at WOT and that was 839. KR was 2.3 – I would avoid any amount of boost until it runs great up to the point of boosting.
Good luck with it, I would start with a new O2 sensor, be sure to put some high temp anti-sieze on the threads before putting the new one in.

Chuck
Thanks brother! I figured so about the o2 sensor, it was the only thing i didnt replace when doing the tune up. Im gonna adjust the IAC and TPS today after I get done with the Mothers day duties! I just started digging into this car after 2 years of owning it! Cooler T-stat is in line as well as an upgraded Radiator. Also im probably gonna upgrade the fuel system as it is all original, and the injectors are probably tired as all hell! If i order new chip and matched injectors, are they just plug and play? Id like to do all the work myself so I can learn more about these cars! :cheers:

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also the ECM is not showing any mal codes at all! No stored codes, no present codes!:cheers:

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Your close to some of our members, they will soon pipe in here and maybe someone close can give you a hand.
The chip and injectors are plug and play, I would consider a package deal here TurboTweak check out the bottom right insert.

Chuck

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your close to some of our members, they will soon pipe in here and maybe someone close can give you a hand.
The chip and injectors are plug and play, I would consider a package deal here TurboTweak check out the bottom right insert.

Chuck
Yes, that would be great! I was all over that site reading and checking, i wanted to buy everything LOL! I probably still will! Most likely during the week this week, ill make a purchase from that site! Chip, injectors, pump, hot wire kit! Anything else i should look at purchasing? MAF? Translator? Ill get it all in one shot if its needed as an upgrade over stock! Im not building a racecar, just a nice cruiser! I got other vehicles to go really fast in! :cheers:

Greg

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so i got the TPS and IAC cleaned and adjusted and within spec and the idle has cleared up a lot, however, its still stumbling over itself though at low RPM and off idle. so Im gonna order up a new vacuum block, and o2 sensor and see what that does! All my scanmaster readings are now in spec aside from the BLM still high around 140. Think the o2 sensor is the culprit.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Don't worry w/ changing more parts until you fix the cracked header...That alone, will screw w/ the O2 readings, which in turn will cause the fueling issues.
Haven't seen any mention of testing/cleaning the MAF......

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Def get the cracked header repaired and go from there. I'd recommend a LT1 3" MAF and translator and get rid of the unreliable factory MAF. Also ohm your coilpack to see the readings across the coil, or better yet find MAGNA guy with a Casper's coil tester. See video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INpkhFKxed0]Casper's CCCI Tester - YouTube[/ame]

It could be many things from MAF, to ignition sytem issues( Coil, module, wires). Change one thing at time to avoid creating other issues. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Stumbling at low rpm + reading 6 at idle sound like MAF to me. Shouldnt it be 4 or 5 at idle?

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just made the credit card company happy! Replacement header on the way, fresh o2, new vacuum block, LT1 MAF and Translator lol! Spending cheese :headbang:

Question about the new MAF setup. Will it work with the stock plumbing, or am i going to have to upgrade that as well? And if so. Recommendations? Thanks for the input!

:cheers:

·
Donde Estas Los Turbos
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Def get the cracked header repaired and go from there. I'd recommend a LT1 3" MAF and translator and get rid of the unreliable factory MAF. Also ohm your coilpack to see the readings across the coil, or better yet find MAGNA guy with a Casper's coil tester.

It could be many things from MAF, to ignition sytem issues( Coil, module, wires). Change one thing at time to avoid creating other issues. Good Luck.
I remeber when we met, you talked with me about this! Well, I finally did it! haha. The coil, module, wires, and plugs are all fresh! Maf is on the way! :cheers:

·
Will Boost 4 Boobies!!!
2,768 Posts
Yeah man @ the 1st UPS show a few years back. Don (Raist103) said he ran into you there this year, and you guys were talking about the issues you were having.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
The original air intake hose has a bad habit of cracking at the wire coils that support it.
A leak there WILL put a hurt on the idle, as it allows unmetered air into the engine.
Also, it's May, and the AIT is reading over 130*????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.