Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now ya let it slip that you are the electrical man (or ya got the book anyway) The 4 wires comming from the driver side of the tranny go up to the bundle under the coilpack. Which one of those wires is the 3rd gear switch and where is is going. My 3rd gear switch is on all the time. If my wire is good, do ya know where the switch is? Can I get to it from just removing the tranny pan? And if that's not enough, what effect do you think that switch would make on a car, being on all the time, performance wise?

·
Too many black cars!
430 Posts
The 3rd gear switch is on the back edge of the valve body (you can see both 3rd and 4th gear switches when you drop the pan... 4th gear switch is on the bottom of the valve body).

Often times the little spade connector slips off the switch for the 3rd gear if the filter catches it during the install.

Also, 4th gear switch often gets turned on if you us a 700-R4 filter (or 200-R4 with the metal top) and it gets pressed up against the switch (wrong side of the clip).

------------------
==========================
Ken Mosher http://www.turbo-link Co-moderator:GN/TType Enthusiast Organization

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
I'd start with Ken's always good advice. I'm at work hence no book.

Hey but I can answer the mud flaps question over here though. Yeah I like the mud flaps and don't even go hunting. But I do, use the car for off roading and hill climbing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ken, looks like I'm going in the tranny pan this weekend. It needed some new juice and filter anyway.
slavageV6 - I couldn't resist on the mud flaps. Hell I'm in the middle of ******* heaven boarding Arkansas and Mississippi and I haven't seen mud flaps on a GN. That's like puttin a Madonna bra on the Virgin Mary. But I guess you yanks got such ****ty roads and all the snow and salt is what your trying to keep off. I got a 98 Dodge Ram 4x4 for the off road stuff (no mud flaps).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I found it. On the other one without the "S". Hey I didn't mean any harm ya'll. I just got to laughing when I saw mud flaps on the tech board. I hear they are good for .04 in the quarter. Keeps the wind from the tires off the body and reduces drag.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Third gear switch is the dark green wire with a white stripe or tracer on it. Should be grounded until you hit third gear then it opens the connection.

Book shows a direct run to the ECM.

Terminal C7 on the ECM.

To check it disconnect the ECM plugs and read the wire to ground through an ohmmeter should be low ohms til you hit third gear.

Which of course you can't do with the ECM disconnected and no mud flaps on the car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.