Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever noticed how at times a car goes from more or less being solid to the floor pans rusting through in just a year?.

In scraping out the interior of my project car, I finally saw why.....

The rust was between the sound deadening, and the floor pan, and it was rusting from the inside out! !!. The underneath of the car, was solid, and without a trace of rust. Yet, inside there was some really heavy rusting going on. So this lightening project may have well saved the car...

I'd seen several G-Bodies *die* from the rusted floor pan syndrome, but it never occured to me that the rust was starting from the inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,022 Posts
Carpet/pad gets wet then it never dries out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,915 Posts
Yep. Pulled the interior stuff outta my 84 and you could watch the water come in when it rained. Firewall area (heater box) seemed one location, front windshield, rear windshield were a couple more. :( Wasn't a little bit of water either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
When my car broke the driveshaft,I had to take out the interior to fix the tunnel.I found the same thing,not real bad but it would have been a problem down the road.Glad I fixed it now instead of finding it when it was though :yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,887 Posts
Zap said:
Yep. Pulled the interior stuff outta my 84 and you could watch the water come in when it rained. Firewall area (heater box) seemed one location, front windshield, rear windshield were a couple more. :( Wasn't a little bit of water either.
What was that, Fred(Flinstone)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
my interior

It's funny this thread came up. I just took the whole rear interior out of the car to trace the rear speaker wires. I took out everything and I was astonished how perfect everything (including the floor) was--just like new. I brushed on some engine oil and covered it with some thin plastic and put everything back together again.

So much for the "Northern rust buckets"

Ravi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
So much for the "Northern rust buckets
I think that only applies to locations where it gets warm enough for the water to be a liquid, for a substantial part of the year. Things rust very slowly in a deep freeze.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TRFanatic said:
So much for the "Northern rust buckets"
Varies largely by the type of snow clearing done. Sand is innocent enough, but the sodium cloride based salts are worse. And the Potasiun Cloride salts are really bad, they'll wick into wiring harnesses, and raise all sorts of heII.
Parking a car in an unheated garage is actually better then in a heated one, when salts are being used. The continual thawing of slush allows for more rusting then if it was allowed to stay frozen.

My first LM-1 cable was ruined within a day of being exposed to the Potasium Choride salt. The salts whicked up about 6" into the wiring, all it took to keep the second one from being ruined was just a dab of RTV where the wires disappeared into the connector shell. Since then the GN never sees any snow...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
Varies largely by the type of snow clearing done. Sand is innocent enough, but the sodium cloride based salts are worse. And the Potasiun Cloride salts are really bad, they'll wick into wiring harnesses, and raise all sorts of heII.
Parking a car in an unheated garage is actually better then in a heated one, when salts are being used. The continual thawing of slush allows for more rusting then if it was allowed to stay frozen.

My first LM-1 cable was ruined within a day of being exposed to the Potasium Choride salt. The salts whicked up about 6" into the wiring, all it took to keep the second one from being ruined was just a dab of RTV where the wires disappeared into the connector shell. Since then the GN never sees any snow...
All my vehicles sit in an unheated garage. They do sit on concrete, which sweats. I am thinking of undercoating them and buying floor liners(pads). Nothing really special about them, but I would be hard pressed to replace them. And I like 'em, they're paid for.
 

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
"So much for the "Northern rust buckets"


I've seen some weird things down here with the high humidity. The real problems lies in the fact that there isn't really a suffcient covering on the sheetmetal itself. From what I know the bodies were dipped in a bath and than sprayed with a sealer. When you look at a car with the interior out you can see how GM did it. Down here in the humidity the cars rust from the top down to the floor pan. If you've ever changed your headliner you know what I'm talking about. Of course I do see a lot of retards who leave their windows open or T-tops off during the daily summer rainstorms too. Another problem I see that causes the roofs to rust is bad weatherstripping. The water likes to puddle between the weatherstrip and roof panel. Chances are there isn't any paint there and it started to rust the first time water got on the car. I guess the point is if your TR was ever driven than you have rust whether you want to admit or not. What fun is one of these cars when it's a garage queen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,098 Posts
I lived in Detroit for a while, years back, and there were almost NO old cars on the street. They rusted away too fast. And I lived on the Atlantic coast for a few years, and a Corvette will rust away if it gets into the sea air! Then there are sandstorms in the southwest.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Ormand said:
I lived in Detroit for a while, years back, and there were almost NO old cars on the street. They rusted away too fast.
Just got back from the Downriver cruise... :dunno:
Maybe the were Southern cars :dunno:
Mine's perfect :dunno:
Just gotta take care of them :D
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top