Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about two months now I've been battling a very sporadic stumbleing misfire type issue. When cruising accelerating or decelerating the car stumbles and feels like it is missing and then will be fine again until it happens again. Occasionally it will also stall from this stumbling. It only happens when the car is at operating temp. I did the following so far which didn't fix the problem:
-Re set cam sensor
-changed coil pack
-changed ignition module and coil pack (from 1987 somerset)
-changed plugs (old ones looked perfect)
-wires have 1000 miles on them and visually they are fine

One thing to note is that the car idles much better after the module/coilpack swap though the rpm still jumps around. I'm not sure what to do next...

·
Village Idiot
4,813 Posts
Here's a few things for starters..

Assuming the cars ALDL is reporting everything normal..

Pull the up pipe and open the TB blade & inspect it for oil. Clean as needed.

Remove & clean the IAC

Clean the grounds.

Unplug and reconnect every sensor to remove corrosion from the contacts.

Unplug the ECM harness and exanine the pins and the end of the harness for corrosion.

Pull the chip and try another one.

Borrow another ECM & see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didn't realize my signatue didn't include my ecm set up. It's been awhile since I've been on here. I am running a gen 7 so chip swapping aint happening. I wanted to see if there was any other quick checks before I started playing with wires, but that's what I'll do next. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
My '86 T-Type was doing the same thing when I got it. Pulled the chip (a good mechanic friend suggested this) and cleaned the connections with contact cleaner, voila, the car ran perfect. You might give it a try.

John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started to pull apart and check all connections. I pulled up pipe off and the throttle body had a rich fuel smell to it, and around the bottom part of the blade there was very small oil type film (not sure if it is fuel or oil need to double check tomorrow). The IAC had alot of dirt / grease on it. Tomorrow I will clean and plug all sensors and harnesses back together.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything is hooked back up, but problem still persists. Also the car doesn't have to be hot anymore for this to happen. I took the car out for a ride I got on it a little and the engine cut out for a second and then started pulling again. I'm in a rut...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Similar symptoms occurred on me when I had a poor battery connection/cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts