Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!
My 87 we4 is idling rough. I ordered a turbo link and was told it would be 4-6 weeks before I receive it!! arrrgh! I jumpered the test connectors and received a error 13, O2 sensor, would that be causing the rough idle? The car smooths out on acceleration but the idle is aweful..Any suggestions would be appreciated....

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Your car is trying to tell you the problem. Is replacing the O2 sensor going to solve your rough idle? I dunno, but replace it and see.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes, a bad O2 sensor will make the car run rough.
How old is the O2 sensor and have you been running race gas ?
Since you don't have your scan tool yet, it is going to be hard to check things.
TPS, IAC, settings. (If you have access to a volt meter you can check your TPS settings)
Look for the obvious stuff, vacuum leaks, holes in maf hose, cracked drivers side header.
After all that break down and buy a GM O2 sensor, you're pulling the code for it right.

Good luck
Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a muti-meter and already checked the iac and tps..They both checked out. Checked the maf and hoses. How can I check the driver side header? And no I havent been running any race gas.. The idle really sucks. I can drive the car and once it gets going it runs fine, but when I pull up to a stop light it starts acting up and the check light will come on. If I rev the engine a little the light goes out..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a fp gauge on the rail and its reading 35, doenst matter if I crank it up or down.. If its a vacuum leak I sure cant find it..Would either of those cause the e/c 13? Also could it be a bad injector? It does smooth out under load, or seems to..thanx

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Do a tap test on your MAF as well.

DS headers usually crack in the junction between #3 and #5. If it's a big crack you will see it, hear it, or smell it. (I think I just set myself up for some really bad jokes
)

Paul

------------------
1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Code 13 is bad O2, O2 ground or faulty ECM. I dont suspect a MAF etc problem with this code. 44 or 45 maybe, but not 13. I'd throw in an O2 and see.

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I tried the O2 sensor and the 13 e/c went away, but the car is still idling bad..
This is getting frustrating..

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
What injectors? What chip?

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stock injectors and stock chip right now. I also have a thrasher chip, does the same thing. Anyone in San Diego with a scan tool??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I fixed the rough idle problem..It was the #6 Spark Plug..Should have checked them sooner..I pulled all the plugs and noticed that the gap on #6 was waaaaaaaaay off. Put in a new plug and the car is running smooth again. I also replaced the o2 sensor for good measures. Thanks for the responses..

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Glad to hear you got the problem fixed. I just ran across this post. If you have an insurmountable problem in the future, give me a call. I'm a good listener

I do have a couple of scan tools though (ScanmasterII, and Direct Scan) that could help diagnosis.

------------------
TurboDave & Kathy Huinker, mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
TurboD Racing,BGNRA San Diego,GSCA-5311,Turbo Buick Web Ring
San Diego CA http://home.san.rr.com/buickv6/
86 GN(MM/MAF Xlator/Extender,MM BstC Boost Command,THDP,PTE44,CAS V2FM,MSD50's,9.5"vigilante 3500)
87 GN [email protected](Stock)
84 L69 Z28

1 - 17 of 17 Posts