Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 86 gn. decided to rebuild engine and trans. had to replace crank, rod and main bearings, all sensors, valve job, timing chain and gear, piston rings, intercooler, turbo, radiator, oil cooler, power steering pump, ecm, ignition contol module, all vacuum lines. Pretty much the works. put engine back together and install in car. had some problems figuring out how the crank and cam sensors work but after lots of research I finally got the car started. car idles really rough and you can smell raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. when first starting car there is white smoke coming from the exhaust which smells like fuel not oil. when put into gear it will almost die. tried to drive down the block and it kept dying. connected a scanmaster and here is all of the readings.

02: 78-546
Retard: 0.0
AF: 07
L8: 48
Bat: 13.1
INT: 138
bL: 150
mph: 0
CLt: 175
ATS: 51
r: 725-775
TPS: .46
IAC: 124
MAL: 32
Oil Pressure: 29psi.
Fuel Pressure: 34psi.

I would greatly appreciate some help on this. So far this project has been a nightmare. Dont wish this on anyone. Thanx.

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
IAC is way too high.
Cam sensor in correctly?
O2 sensor new?
Inj size and chip match?
Code 32 is the EGR system. Hooked up correctly? Clean? Gasket good?

Try posting on Ihadav8.com.... many of the old timers are now over there.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts

·
Flyn Greek
2,133 Posts
Check all plugs for spark when i got mine found was only running on 4 cyl. alco checkto see if you have a suck injector

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A car not running on all 6 will also have a 150BLM.
Check the spark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i appreciate everyones input and I will try my best to answer all questions.

new readings after adjusting tps and iac.

02-all over the place
af-6
l8-52
bat-13.7
int-140
blm-150
clt-173
ats-107
r-675
tps-.40
iac-43(at times it will show 175 for some reason) new sensor from oreillys
mal-still 32( can't find any connection problems or vac leaks at egr)
vac-7 (im guessing thats low)
fp-32(after initial ignition on the fuel pressure goes up to 35 then drops quick to 0, any suggestions)

ES and 87 granny- checked all plugs for spark and all had spark
Just a Six-i have read vortex buicks probably 100 times and have learned a lot about the car. very helpful website.
Old Buzzard-when i installed the cam sensor I had went to several websites including vortex buicks and I did it just like everyone has said. So I am hoping that it is correct. I did not replace o2 sensor however, the schematics that I have looked at show a 2 wire o2 and mine is a 4 wire. someone had previously put that in and had I guess added wires for it. I do not know where the wires go. I also did not replace injectors or chip. far as i know they are stock except someone had replaced one of them. I did my best to clean the injectors by soaking them in brake wash for about a day, installed new o-rings and installed them. I did replace the egr and gasket but not the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The 150blm is at the max so look for a major vacuum leak.
If you have an old tire tube. You could use it to make a leak tester.
Cut an area around the valve steam so it can be used to install over you MAF pipe.
Clamp down and add about 15psi from an air compressor.
Spray areas with soapy water and look for leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, i have inlet hose fittings at work so i got one and installed on inlet pipe. put about 10psi into system and found new egr leaking. got another new egr and gasket and installed. no more leak. got car warmed up. still only have 7psi vac and blm is still 150. all reading are the same.

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
Timing issues come to mind, 7 inches (not PSI?) of vacuum at idle? Only take a chain a tooth or two to move on you at install to cause that. Hate to think, but just a thought. Whatever can affect ignition timing also should be ruled out. Double check the vanes on the back of the damper pulley.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes 7 inches. I have a scope at work so i guess i could remove the cam sensor and make sure i got everything lined up. I am pretty sure it is right though but i will check. if it's not right does anyone want to buy a 1986 buick grand national $9000. Seriously! i will give details of the entire car.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
If it where my car I would do a compression test, just start with the basic's first and go from there. Prop the throttle body open and turn the key for a few revs on each cylinder and record your readings. At least you will know if it's internal problem... unhook all the plug wires before start. (The coil has the firing order on it, look close)

Chuck

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
NOT..

"my best to clean the injectors by soaking them in brake wash for about a day"...

The way to clean injs. That cleaner can dissolve the varnish/ coating on the coil windings.:eek!:

Have you made sure the vac check valves at the EGR and the canister are in, in the correct direction?

"I did not replace o2 sensor however, the schematics that I have looked at show a 2 wire o2 and mine is a 4 wire. someone had previously put that in and had I guess added wires for it. I do not know where the wires go."
A new O2 would be a good investment. Sounds like the 1 in there now, is a heated sensor. If you don't know the correct wiring positions, get them right, B4 you spend more time w t/s....

ATS @ 107, and it's in the dead of winter?? First post said it was 51:confused:

"stock except someone had replaced one of them". How do you know this? A different design, different pt number?? A stock inj is a Bosch and has the last 3 #'s of 218 on them.
Post the numbers on all the injectors and the info on the chip...

On the cam sensor: "So I am hoping that it is correct."....Recheck it. If it's 180* out, the engine will run, however about like crap...

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
if it's not right does anyone want to buy a 1986 buick grand national $9000. Seriously! i will give details of the entire car.
Wow, you're far more along than I am, it took me three years till i wanted to sell!!!:cheers: You'll probably find out it's something simple, hang in there. I was thinking yesterday, as rich as you say it was running, it could have washed the cylinder walls, so you still might have problems even after your EGR repair. Like Chuck said, take a compression test, you should have a lot of low readings. Check your oil level, make sure it isn't super loaded with gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok. i will check compression. i just rebuilt the engine. installed new rings, rod and main bearings. hopefully nothing is wrong. oil level looks good. what is the best 02 sensor to buy. all the ones i have seen on oreillys and autozone website look like a 1 wire sensor. buzzard-what r u talking about on the egr? I haven't done a whole lot of egr work so i dont really know all of the components. I will also look at the injectors and find some numbers for you. I want to go with stock parts. what r the best injectors to get and where do u get them? Is it best to get a injector and chip kit on stock engine?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you removed the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and inspected for fuel in the line? If so the regulator is leaking. If no fuel is found there I would want to know why it wont hold fuel pressure. Possibly a stuck open injector dumping all your fuel straight in to a cylinder. Have you checked the oil for a gas smell?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but do you have a chip? If you messed with the ECM at all, it could have come unseated. When I installed a bigger turbo last year I had to get a new TT chip. Car ran exactly as you describe. Stupid me didn't realize the new chip wasn't properly seated in the ECM. Got it seated right...viola..car fired up and ran like a champ.

You're gonna wanna change your oil when you get it straightened out. Probably has a ton of fuel dumped into it.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
buzzard-i checked the numbers on the injectors and had 218 on it. checked the chip and the numbers were really faded and couldn't tell what it said.

tim- i checked the vac line and no fuel. im like you i think there is a leaking injector.

dan- far as i know it has the original chip. like i said up top i can't read it so its probably pretty old. i checked the chip and it is seated.

does anyone know a good 02 sensor to get.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts