Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a clogged cat? When I test drove for the first time yesterday it seemed like it was lacking in bottom end power. Would this be from the cat?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I remember reading a post that related the cat & rotten egg smell. Maybe burned out or plugged but I'm not really sure?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Rotten egg smell is usually a cat clogged.But the thing that has me wondering is the fact you say lacking bottom end.If you mean that it lackes lower rpm punch but after a certain rpm pulls hard then it should not be the cat being clogged.

Think of it as an obstruction to airflow.Less rpm's and throttle body open very little= less noticable.

Higher rpm's and OR throttle blade being open more = more noticable.

·
Unnaturally Aspirated
2,327 Posts
On 2 occasions I have seen (and smelled) tranny fluid cooked so bad that it smells like rotten eggs, and you can smell it when the car is running. (I know it sounds weird cause most just get that awful burnt smell...)

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
It's caused by running the engine/cat convertor slightly lean for long periods and then running under a rich condition, Like going up a hill. This is when the sulphur smell is produced. Could be a bad converter but I doubt it. Try changing the O2 or maybe adding a lb of fuel pressure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First thing Im going to do, is cut the cat out and do the whole exhause system. Its all original, 110,000 miles and rusted out. If the smell dosent go away, then I'll try the O2 sensor and fuel pressure thing. Question is, do i need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or somthing? Ive never done this before, and just got the car.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
If you take the cat out of the system you won't get the smell no matter how good or bad the car runs.It's always good to have an adj. regulator.
Not sure where you live but the cat is needed for most states vehicle insections.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
The smell will go away. Like ULYCYC said, your cat is working overtime, but my experiance has been when a car is too rich or the cat's on it's way out, but not plugged. Maybe it's because I use the sh!tty California gas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im in FL, so we dont have the whole emmisions tests thing..So I am going to get rid of the cat..I want to replace it with a Flo-tech cut-out. Where do you recommend me getting the adj fuel press regulator? Where is it installed? Is it hard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.