Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
YOU KNOW MY NAME!
5,673 Posts
I've been using the 15-40 Rotella diesel from day one.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Jason,

Read this article (all the chapters): http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

And then decide what you want to do.

I'd personally get a full synthetic 0w or 5w50 from Redline, it has all the zinc you'll ever need. Otherwise you will want to use the 20w50 Valvoline VR-1 for max zinc in a conventional oil.

I am running 5w30 Redline in both the Camaro and TBSS now. I may switch back to the 0w30 German Castrol in the TBSS for the Winter.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Another Island Guy

Hi James

I live 20 min away in Bowser my wife works at Boston Pizza in courtney.

·
TO HOLD ON HIGH
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just moved to the island from Ottawa. I'll be bringing the T to the cruise-in at the A&W soon.

thanks for the link Mike, I guess I should have asked: has Rotella gone down even lower in their forumla (it was rumoured to be going down from the current CJ-4 1200 ppm to 850 or so). I really like the castrol 0W30 but I can no longer get it at $5/litre so it's not cost effective with the T`s oil change frequency.

·
6,603 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
TO HOLD ON HIGH
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not telling you to avoid it, Jason. Just hoping you remain open to other options... BTW, how often are you changing the oil in that T? I seriously only change my oil once a year. LOL!
Twice a year on the T, but it gets very little mileage on it. I'm running the 0W30 in the other cars and change it once per year.

·
Irish ****
1,716 Posts
Hi, Jason. Welcome to the Island. I'm just an hour south in Nanaimo.
I use Rotella 15w40 in everything I own.
:cheers:

Attachments

·
6,603 Posts
Twice a year on the T, but it gets very little mileage on it. I'm running the 0W30 in the other cars and change it once per year.
Yeah, you'd be fine with a 5w50 full synthetic from Redline and a large NAPA/Wix/K&N filter for the year.

The problem with conventional oils (per the article) is they don't hold well on the shelf, or stored in the engine, in extreme climates where synthetics do. PLUS, there is the added bonus of film strength on parts when stored over the Winter. In short, store the car with fresh oil - take it for one last spin, shut it off, and in the Spring unplug the injector harness and crank it over until you build oil pressure... then fire it up and drive for the season.

There you go. I just spent the same $10/L you would have making multiple oil changes using GC 0w30 and got you into a better oil too. ;)

I know you are going to miss having me around. :D But, Richie is a cool dude too... :wink:

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Irish ****
1,716 Posts

·
Irish ****
1,716 Posts
Thanks, Mike. I miss all those track days, bar-b-ques and all nighters at the Pit Stop.:cheers:

·
6,603 Posts
nice to see there are some other TRs on the island ! Mike, start working on getting posted to Comox.
PFFT! Forget that... that means having a much better go of it by joining the Air Force. You should just come back to Twattawa.

Much closer to Napierville Dragway in QC... where we were today.:D

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Easy, cowboy. Besides, I got no bich tellin' me what to wear:yup:
I dress funny too when the wife doesn't tell me what to wear!! :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.