Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I don't know where else to ask.

Should the roofers cover my entire roof with tar paper/felt paper when reshingling a roof?

I got a number of quotes and a couple of the lower end guys... said no need to tar paper on a 6-12

I don't know if it is need or extra money grab

dave

ps: Does any one have any roofer recommendations.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
Dave being the trades I have seen many roofers use the paper on new homes & never just shingle on bare wood.
If it's shingle over shingle then not needed from what Ive seen but I'm not a roofer. Just telling you what Ive seen over the years! :cheers:

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
we never used felt. Just went on the bare wood.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Check the shingle manufacturer's warranty..... may specify that paper must be used or else the shingles are not covered.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Check the shingle manufacturer's warranty..... may specify that paper must be used or else the shingles are not covered.
I checked the shingle manufacturer. It states... If the roof is moderate to really sloped, it says Recommended. If the roof is not as sloped... it say Required... so basically, not needed if the roof is really sloped...but no where does it say it is part of warranty!!

I also found some Ontario building code standard. The first 3 feet from the bottom of the roof needs some sort of rain & ice covering... which all roofer estimates are doing. The rest of the roof, based on slope needs to be cover with felt/tar paper. basically the same as the roof manufacturer.

after doing some internet surfing... it's appears to be added protection if I felt/tar paper the whole roof

dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't really know what code is, but I do remember when we got our roof done several years ago....had em strip off the old shingles & they installed "ice shield" for the first 3 feet from eves trough + the valleys & then tar papered the entire roof before the 40yr single tab fiberglass shingles were installed.

·
Homer Simpson
339 Posts
It probably doesn't add much to the cost of getting the roof done, as opposed to the shingles and gutters. It likely adds to the warrantee coverage of the shingle and it is cheap insurance in case you loose an shingle or two in a wind storm until you can get it fixed.
What brand of shingles are you going with?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It probably doesn't add much to the cost of getting the roof done, as opposed to the shingles and gutters. It likely adds to the warrantee coverage of the shingle and it is cheap insurance in case you loose an shingle or two in a wind storm until you can get it fixed.
What brand of shingles are you going with?

this roofer is using BP shingles, ice cover on the first 3 feet, but nothing on the rest of the roof.

there is another roofer using GAF shingles that I was really interested in... but $2000 more than the BP roofer. they included the 3 feet of ice cover... and the GAF waterproofing paper the rest of the roof.

I don't think its going to cost the BP roofer $2000 to tar paper the whole roof.

Brian... do you have any roofer recommendation. I`ve been using Roofing in Toronto reviews on HomeStars

dave

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
We used Sears (because we wanted to count on a warranty). Turns out, glad we did as our 30 yr shingles were toast in 13 yrs. We got a pro rated warranty from IKO (shingle manufacturer) & re-did the entire roof. Still cost us a few bucks, but we upgraded to better shingles (went with 40yr fiberglass single tab vs 3 tab ashphalt shingles) & we also installed ridge venting. Very happy with the end result & installation.

By the way, there are 2 major shingle manufacturers in the GTA. IKO & BP. For some starnge reason, they have an agreement between them where IKO is sold West of Yonge Street & BP is sold East of Yonge Street.

I'm pretty sure that you want Ice Shield applied over your valleys too, underneath an aluminum flashing. It doesn't cost much & is good insurance.

Tar paper costs next to nothing. I would find another roofer myself.

dave

·
blank
2,898 Posts
I have always used felt underneath.
With the cost of a bin or two or three here no point doing it yourself anymore.
Grace iceshield is the best.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave P.

For big name company warranty, I got quotes from Sears, Home Depot and Canadian Tire... but they were in the $9-12,000 range... about $4000+ more than the roofers with the lowest quotes.

All my roofer quotes will install Ice shiels... 3 feet from the bottom/edge/eaves/valley... and I think it is because its building code.

There is a couple roofer including the sub contractor for Home Depot that will cover the heated part of the roof... so no tar paper over the garage.

my three ranges came in at
- $5000-$6000
--> 2 cover whole roofer but had so so reviews
--> the one I interesed in had good reviews but didn't tar paper whole roof.
- $7000-$8,000.
- 9,000+

dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's what I used under the shingles on my boathouse that I just shingled, better than tar/felt paper!

TITANIUM UDL-30

Stuart

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Wow, it seems awfully expensive to do a roof in Toronto. My house will have to be done in a couple of years and I am going to put steel on it like I did to my garage roof and I imagine I will be at the bottom end of your price spectrum. With that being said, maybe the price of steel has gone up a lot in the last few years, but I will be going with steel.

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
"For big name company warranty, I got quotes from Sears, Home Depot and Canadian Tire... but they were in the $9-12,000 range... about $4000+ more than the roofers with the lowest quotes. "

Yep. They call one of their "certified installers", sell them the materials, jack the price outta site, and go away, smiling.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts