Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atr's setup is $895, looks to come complete. I'm not sure whos cam they're selling, can anyone help me out with that. Also is there a better value out there in a complete drop in, no hassle setup? I think I remeber a post sometime ago about comp or crane having a kit in the $600 range. dunno

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Why don't you talk to Bill Anderson about a kit? He posts here under eightsecondv6-just posted in the oil slinger thread.

He can help you with a drop in, I believe.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The roller lifters are the most exspensive part in the setup. Buying all parts separate may cost you alot more.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Looking at your car I would first change the intake system, DP and exhaust, a good pocket ported set of heads, this should get you into the low 11's without all the hassel of changing the cam and a noisey valve train. Gene

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Getchasum:
Atr's setup is $895, looks to come complete. I'm not sure whos cam they're selling, can anyone help me out with that. Also is there a better value out there in a complete drop in, no hassle setup? I think I remeber a post sometime ago about comp or crane having a kit in the $600 range. dunno
You may be remembering the kit Lonnie Diers posted about putting together back when the econo roller fiasco was happening.

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ULYCYC:
Good point. I would not open a 30K motor just to drop a cam or any part in. Wait until it blows up first.
Well it's like this......My car set uncranked from 93 to 2000. Now that I have since put about 3k more mile on the car it's developed a bottem end knock or so I think once it warms up. It's knocking somewhere?? I've looked for it to no end. Did the spark plug wire test, couldn't tell a difference. Unbolted the TC and it didn't go away. At one time I thought it may be coming from the #5 rod, so I pulled the rod cap and plastic gauged it, it looked great.

So here is where I'm at and what I've got is a low mile motor that has a knock somewhere. dunno A na 3.8 and na 4.1 setting in the basement needing a build. A wife that thinks I'm crazier than H*LL, because I'm not wanting to put a rod through the orginal block. Going Crazier than H*LL tring to figure out what to do. Worried about a rebuild flat tappet cam not living. And it goes on and on and on. :mad: rant :mad: rant :mad: rant

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
btw....could it be the flywheel. When the car is on the lift it sounds like it's coming from the very back of the engine. This is so sickening as great as the car runs. I'm about ready to not even think about rebuilds, flat tappet or roller cams and make someone the 2nd owner of this car. help

<small>[ November 23, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Getchasum ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hey! Don't sell the farm yet. Have you tried narrowing the problem down to a specific cylinder? While it's running pull a spark plug wire, one at a time to see if the 'knock' changes or goes away. Hopefully you will not notice a change in any of them while doing that, and maybe it's something else.

The cam sensor can make a bad knocking noise, but that will come from the front..

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Take the oil filter off and cut it open to look for metal.

Hang in there, we all know how you feel :mad: powersix

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Getchasum:
ULYCYC:
Good point. I would not open a 30K motor just to drop a cam or any part in. Wait until it blows up first.
Well it's like this......My car set uncranked from 93 to 2000. Now that I have since put about 3k more mile on the car it's developed a bottem end knock or so I think once it warms up. It's knocking somewhere?? I've looked for it to no end. Did the spark plug wire test, couldn't tell a difference. Unbolted the TC and it didn't go away. At one time I thought it may be coming from the #5 rod, so I pulled the rod cap and plastic gauged it, it looked great.

So here is where I'm at and what I've got is a low mile motor that has a knock somewhere. dunno A na 3.8 and na 4.1 setting in the basement needing a build. A wife that thinks I'm crazier than H*LL, because I'm not wanting to put a rod through the orginal block. Going Crazier than H*LL tring to figure out what to do. Worried about a rebuild flat tappet cam not living. And it goes on and on and on. :mad: rant :mad: rant :mad: rant
I'm a little curious why you only looked at one rod???
While you had the pan off, and were snooping around, the thing to do would have been to pull ALL the rod caps and put new bearings in at that time. Rod bearings aren't that expensive. And you may have found something looking at all of them instead of just one.

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/qb][/QUOTE]I'm a little curious why you only looked at one rod???
While you had the pan off, and were snooping around, the thing to do would have been to pull ALL the rod caps and put new bearings in at that time. Rod bearings aren't that expensive. And you may have found something looking at all of them instead of just one. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I tried doing the spark plug test by just removing one wire at a time. Sounded like it went away on #5 with wire removed. That's when I pulled the pan and plastic gauged #5. It was perfect, looked like no ware what so ever on the bearing and plastic gauge was way on the good side. So I figured it must be the wrist pin.
dunno I gave up on tring to find it and started planning to build another motor, pull the orginal and Build at a later date so down time wouldn't be so long. I WOULD MUCH RATHER KNOW FORSURE WHERE THE KNOCK IS COMING FROM and be able to fix the orginal.

<small>[ November 25, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Getchasum ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Believe it or not but maybe that knock noise is actually an exhaust leak or valve train related. I would find it ultra rare for a 30k mile wrist pin to fail in a stock motor. At this point if it were my car, I would hunt around the back of the exhaust header with one of those auto microphones looking for a tick or knock. Then I would take the drivers valve cover off and fire the motor holding pressure with your thumb on the rockers to see if any slop is making noise.

I have a 4.1 motor right now that has an exhaust leak on the bottom of the #2 tube going into the header flange. It sounds exactly like knock of some sort from the engine because it's hard to localize. I found the leak with one of those auto microphones. Needless to say, I was very pleased to find it was just an exhaust leak! powersix

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't think it's an exhaust leak. Not to long ago I pulled and welded up the ds header, also changed the timing gears and chain. Didn't seem like there was knock prior. I wonder if any of the knock I'm hearing could be transfering the length of cam shaft from the cam sensor or something from the front cover? Again I only hear it after it warms up.

I think I'll dig in and look one more time. How many of you would recommend changing all rod bearings or flywheel before jumping ship?

<small>[ November 26, 2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Getchasum ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Did you use a double roller style timing chain and the stock tensioner?

What about your oil pressure?

I would still hunt around with a microphone so you can stop guessing.

·
Missing 2 Cylinders???
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The timing chain and gears were all stock replacement w/new GM hardware. I've got some time from work coming to me next week, so I plan on taking one more GOOD look around, exhaust, scope and I may even gauge all bearings . If I don't find the knock....my next focus is cam selection and an engine builder.

Be ready for more help on a cam selection. ugh

<small>[ November 26, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Getchasum ]</small>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts