Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about the improvements of all roller versus not?
Is it worth the expense?
Roller rockers and valve covers could set you back 500.00
Billet roller cam and lifters possibly 600 to 900.00
Is the extra 1000.00 going to produce bang for the buck.
My shortblock minus cam and Iron champions are waiting for my cam choice.
Adam

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
I was kinda wondering that as well.

I am trying to find a stock OEM Cam but and if I cant I would go Billet Roller in probably a 206/206.

I wouldnt do roller rockers or anything but I wonder what the power difference would be? Would it be worth the extra 800 bucks to go roller cam or what? Whats the gain? 10hp over a stock cam????

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is Tewksbury?
I work in Hudson,Ma.
Living temp in Shirley,Ma

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My freshly machined long block with billet mains and champion irons is awaiting our cam choice.
Sounds like full roller is the wat to go.

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Is your car in mass? Whos doing your motor?

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Is your car in mass? Whos doing your motor?

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

G

·
Generally speaking, a roller cam is worth approx. 2/10's E.T. reduction as compared to it's flat tappet cousin of the same duration.
It's kind of difficult to compare the stock cam to a good aftermarket one, performance wise.
Although a roller will work well with stock heads, we prefer to go flat tappet with them.
A good flat tappet cam will easily take an internally stock motor to as far as it can go, performance wise, before it breaks apart.
Once you beef up the bottom end and go with good heads, a roller cam can become more of a benefit.
Once you go to a roller, it's very prudent to go roller rockers also, or at least utalize a HD rocker arm / shaft assembly.
The higher seat pressure springs accompaning
a roller cam will most likely eventually tear part the OEM stock rocker shaft system.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a budget roller without the HD rocker shafts. I did however install the RJC rocker shaft supports. If those don't hold it, HD shafts will be installed.

-Mike

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Adam,

Tewskbury is next to Lowell, North of Boston. Its right where 93 and 495 meet. Thats a hell of a drive from Florida to Mass everyday huh?

Ron,

Im trying to plan a motor and looking at what I should do. Here is what I have planned so far.

RJC Girdle with Stock Main Caps

Stock Crank/Rods with Aftermarket Pistons

Champion Ported Heads with Bigger Valves etc (TTA Heads) This isnt a Buick.

Undecided on a Cam. I am pretty sure I can find a Stock Cam so I may go with that due to price factor. I am scared of the Flat T cams due to all the horror stories of wiping lobes and stuff. Even if that isnt true anymore Im still scared
So I'd go Billet Roller so it doesnt break. But, if I can find a stock cam I want to know if its worth the extra 800 or so bucks over to the stocker to switch.

There are No Roller Rockers for The TTA. I belive its all Stock hardware which I would be using.

Then the other crap..

PT51, V4, 50s, 3Dp, and I guess Ill break down and buy a "3000" stall Lockup probably a Vigi or a Yank, I gotta call them.

I guess shooting for 10.80s and 10.90s with tracton. So I need 4 tenths over my current setup which is a bone stock motor with Stock Convertor. Im hoping the Heads and "saftey" of the Girlde will allow me to run more than my 24psi now and make some more power

K Im tired..

------------------
Mike Schoenfeld

1 - 9 of 9 Posts