Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting in bar and was wondering if I should go to frame or just plate and mount to body as this would be much easier.Will I get to much flex in frame if I do this? also is either method o.k. for tech ? :confused:

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
bolt in's are not legal for racing ...has to be welded to the frame ... just did Melissa's car a few months ago

Attachments

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
The $10.00 solution....

Wizard said:
Putting in bar and was wondering if I should go to frame or just plate and mount to body as this would be much easier.Will I get to much flex in frame if I do this? also is either method o.k. for tech ? :confused:
Buy an NHRA rulebook, and save yourself alot of grief.. :yup: :cheers:

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
Old Buzzard said:
Buy an NHRA rulebook, and save yourself alot of grief.. :yup: :cheers:

:eek!: :D

·
Older than dirt
2,717 Posts
Lots of...

Grumpy said:
New "stuff" regarding rollbars, and cars fast enough to need them. I'd NEVER made cert on my car without one... BEST $10.00 I've spent on car "stuff"!!! :eek!: :D

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
With a car with a frame, you can NOT just weld the bar to the floor. It must go to the frame to be NHRA legal.

As suggested by the other guys, get ahold of a new NHRA rule book. Get one here:
http://store.nhra.com/product.asp?3=54

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have ordered a book but they said 3-4 weeks for delivery.I was hoping to get a answer sooner.Maybe some pics of what is o.k. would be the ticket.The only pics. that I could find show guys welding to a plate right to the body.Didn't seem o.k. to me that is why I am asking. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Wizard said:
I have ordered a book but they said 3-4 weeks for delivery.I was hoping to get a answer sooner.Maybe some pics of what is o.k. would be the ticket.The only pics. that I could find show guys welding to a plate right to the body.Didn't seem o.k. to me that is why I am asking. :dunno:
cut holes in the floor pan, run the bars through, weld the plate to the frame and the bars to the plate. thats the only way to do it legally

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
This is from 2004 NHRA specs. The basic design should be the same. I would still wait for the new 2006 book to make sure unless you go to a shop that does them for a living.

Attachments

·
www.magnabuick.com
6,876 Posts
Be aware that there are also specifics about the side bar design. Some swingout designs may not be NHRA legal.

Also, your rear cross bar (what the harnesses mount to) can NOT be a bolt in. It must be welded in.

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
Wizard said:
Thanks for the info...this helps alot :cheers:
That's just a small portion of the rules, but basically (as has been stated several times). It must be welded to the frame to be legal.
You need the rest of the rules that specify what's legal and not legal as far as swing out side bars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts