Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breaking a rocker shaft the other day, I ordered a set of rocker shaft assemblies from Mike here on the board. He quickly sent them and I think they are one heck of a bargain for the price. They come fully assembled (correctly with the L, R, L, R sequence as opposed to the ones that came off mine :) ) and ready to drop on.

Any one that has much more than a 100k on the originals might think of replacing them with these as preventative maintainance. Breakage is more likely with stiffer valve springs and higher rpms.

I decided to order a set of rocker arm supports from Jason Cramer (RJC Racing) to supplement the new shafts as I am running a roller cam and broke a shaft that only had 20,000 miles on it.

While there, I bought some other stuff including some of these pulleys http://www.rjcracing.com/RJC_Buick_Products/RJC_Billet_Alum__Pulleys/rjc_billet_alum__pulleys.html

The workmanship is beautiful and I highly recommend them for both appearance and performance as they are almost feather lite.

While you are there, buy yourself a Power Plate and some of the other cool stuff that Jason produces such as the "biggie" oil filter adapter that Silver6-David Chase developed.

While you are at TBS.com buying the rocker assemblies, you might pick up a mini-starter and the 200 amp alternator upgrade kit as well. Both are real bargains! Some other neat stuff over there in the shop as well. :) usa

<small>[ June 13, 2003, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Steve Wood ]</small>

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
There's some cool stuff out there for sure.
You bought shaft supports for Mike's rocker arm kits?
Those things are bullet proof as it is.
Getting a little paranoid are we? wink

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...I am paranoid that 6000+ rpm and stiff springs ain't too good...I had the SP hd shafts on the car...I have heard that they tend to be brittle so that might be the problem....Mike's shafts are actually thicker according to my calipers. :)

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
I have seen the RJC Pulleys and they are sweet.. I have already spent 10X what I thought I would so things like that will have to wait but eventually it will make its way on there.. Who knows.. Whats another 140 bucks for a lightwieght pulley. I mean 7lbs off the rotating mass of the motor is huge. I bet it revs alot faster with that on there.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I already had an aluminum water pump pulley, I added the crank pulley and the alternator pulley. The boxes felt empty when I picked them up. Amazing how light they are.

I also decided to ditch the Hemco plenum and buy the combo with the PTE/PP. Now everything has a PP. :)

Now to drive 90 miles to the powdercoater for the valve covers, alternator housing and plenum.

I feel just like a ricer! :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah...got one of those black anodized crank pulleys a couple of years ago. At that time he didn't have the other pulleys. Looks like I'll have to spring for the others. yup

Just yesterday, got on it from about a 1600 rpm stop. Couldn't get traction from first through second. Minor fish-tailing through the top of first (never had that before, unless it was in the rain) poon )and had to let off before third. It was on a 2 month old paved black top. Thought I would have better traction. Deserted road in the hills.

Point being...it does rev fast.

John Craig rebuilt PTE 49 with a 2800 stall (Rich Gomez) built converter, FM, THDP, ATR 3" exhaust, Blue Tops, Don Wang built tranny, upper and lower Hotchkis rear CA's, FrontHK control arms with 12" brakes, 2 stage Alchy, 100 octane, MaxE, no engine work (no cam or heads)255's on the rear and 22lbs. boost. And a large adult diaper. silly

Who needs a pacemaker! headbang

I can't believe I did all of that labor except for the tranny.

Have a new Tony Micale rad to put in. Will it never end! dunno powersix usa

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tony Micale? LOL

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Oops! NICK...SORRY! I was thinking about one of our cats names. I was distracted for a moment. My moments usually last for 37 minutes. silly

My O.F.D is becoming more pronounced lately. dunno

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think Steve is refering to Mike T. of TA Performance.com. They sell a lot of good parts for the Buick Family of cars. Of course the new Alum. V6 block! Gene

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
On those pulleys...
What is the diameter difference between the stock pulleys and the RJC pulleys? I am assuming that the RJC units are a smaller diameter to slow down the accessories?

powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rocker shafts come from Mike Savino (Orlando 87) who owns this board as posted above. He sells the rocker assemblies complete as well as Mini-starters, and 200 amp alternator up grade kits and/or complete alternators as a means of paying the cost of this board. Very low prices. You can click on the menue on the left side of the screen on TBS.Com/blinking to Buy now and find the starters and alternators, I don't believe he has added the rocker shaft assemblies yet.

Greg, the pulleys are stock diameter and made from billet aluminum. I have an aluminum overdrive pullet on the water pump to push a bit more water at idle. I bought that from Kirban long ago when I went to a front mount.

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
Does anyone sell an Underdrive pulley that goes off the end of the crank? I need to slow down my accessories, mostly the power steering pump. I keep boiling the fluid at the track.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greg, some of the vendors used to sell underdrive pulleys....I have not looked lately, but, they are available. :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have the 3 piece set from RJC and they look great .What a difference in weight from the stock pulleys.I just also put in the 70 tbody and dog house ,I am going to drive it for a while then put the power plate to see it i can feel the diff.
Mike

·
Registered
790 Posts
What effect would these pulleys have on a basicly stock car? I have 200,000mi on my car. Would this be a waste of money, or would the weight loss make my engine last longer. Weight loss works for people. Do I look to gain half a tenth from this? I would think so, right? dunno

1 - 20 of 25 Posts